News:

--

Main Menu

Opening .VOB problem

Started by AnCi, August 05, 2012, 09:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnCi

avidemux cannot open a .vob file that is on my hard drive. It asks to index it, seems to go through the process, and still cannot open.
i thought the files might be encrypted so i downloaded the libdvdcss program but i don't know if avidemux works with it? i have never had this problem with .vob files before

Jan Gruuthuse

Avidemux should be able to open these without a problem. If you have VLC on your system, this one should be able to open and play this. Libdvdcss is for reading dvd's, should have nothing to do with with a .vob on your harddisc.
If VLC can't open the file, check its permissions if current user has reading access to it?
If VLC can open and play the vob: what OS are you on? Version of Avidemux used and its revision?
If VLC can open and not play the vob, it either could be encrypted or by transferring from dvd to your hard disc, some protection scheme may have pointed to false blocks on the dvd to read garbish: there is no video present in the vob on your hard disc? Dvd ripping on your side did go wrong and is not subject for avidemux.

AnCi

VLC has no problem playing the file
I'm using linux mint and avidemux 2.5.4
the vob wasn't ripped by me it was downloaded, but i had no problem at all playing with it / mounting it on vlc.

Jan Gruuthuse

Check if you can install/upgrade to avidemux 2.5.6 or 2.6 experimental, seen some users did move on these releases. Same problem ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit still has 2.5.4 in software center
Have no issues here with vob on 2.5.6 and 2.6.

AnCi

I'll try that, but I'm not sure how to update avidemux. There's no option of doing it through the program, and I just downloaded 2.5.6 for linux and not sure where i go from here.

Jan Gruuthuse

What is the version of your Mint? Is it 32/64-bit? Depends what you downloaded?

AnCi

Jan Gruuthuse

Check your version of mint and to what it version of Ubuntu it would match up closest?
Not 100% sure if you can install from the debs build on Ubuntu 11.04 or 12.04 LTS. You could try this?
Download one of the above files debs.tar.gz, double click on it and you should be asked to unpack.
When unpacked, double click on the deb(s) to install:

• avidemux3-core-2.6.0- ...
  • avidemux3-plugins-COMMON- ...
  • avidemux3-qt4-2.6.0- ...
  • avidemux3-plugins-QT4-2.6.0- ...
  • avidemux3-cli- ...

If that fails you could have a go at building these yourself? Compiling Avidemux 2.6.x