--

Main Menu

Problem using/seting up 2.6

Started by ABBrittain, September 12, 2012, 11:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABBrittain

Hi,

A few things:-

1) After installing 2.6 upon my system I've been unable to load my Mp4/AAC encoding config files produce by 2.56.

** Can you advise as to if it should be able to read these config files or if I will have to reinput

2) There appears to be new options in the encoding parameters but I'm unable to find any documentation on them.

** Can you point me at the documentation for the encode options.

Thanks - Have gone back to using 2.56-1.

Config files are attached.

Jan Gruuthuse

you can have 2.5.6-1 and 2.6 side by side.
You have to re input open. Open in 2.5.6-1 project and compare Video and Audio Configure from 2.5.6-1 to 2.6. grayed options in 2.6 are not available.

HUNDOLOS

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 12, 2012, 12:13:40 PM
grayed options in 2.6 are not available.

Is there a good reason for them not to be available? That's one of the things keeping me from switching to 2.6.

The other being that (at least the Windows version) it all seems to be held together by the programming equivalents of paperclips and sticky tape.
And don't call me out about knocking free, open software, because I've been using 2.56 regularly, for as long as it's been out, and I think it's awesome and Avidemux at its best, so far (again, on Windows, I have no other experiences to compare to). 2.6 seems seriously dodgy though.

Jan Gruuthuse

some are not implemented, others are only available on some main options.

Like in x264 Configuration dark gray is selectable, light gray is not available.
You can't select Target Video Size as the selected Rate Control is: Constant Rate Factor. CR slider is functional here.

HUNDOLOS

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on October 11, 2012, 06:19:54 AM
Like in x264 Configuration dark gray is selectable, light gray is not available.
You can't select Target Video Size as the selected Rate Control is: Constant Rate Factor. CR slider is functional here.

I would imagine he/she didn't mean the kind that you can't select because of limitations like that, target size only being selectable when using two pass, etc. That's pretty obvious stuff. You can be pretty sure we both meant the kind of settings like vector lengths and such, that were hangable before and now regressed to being just fixed values.

The problem is, and I'm not saying I'm an expert, but it feels that so many options are unavailable, actually, that with such a complex encoder as x264 is, you can't really set it up optimally for whatever purpose you're using it for.

Jan Gruuthuse

Perhaps you did over look 1st sentence starting:
Quotesome are not implemented, ...
. The second starts with like (example explaining why some are not selectable).

HUNDOLOS

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on October 13, 2012, 07:37:16 AM
Perhaps you did over look 1st sentence starting:
Quotesome are not implemented, ...

I did notice that, I just wouldn't believe that so many aren't implemented. I mean, not all are super important, but the loop filter option is frozen without a tick in it, so that's supposed to mean it's off? You also can't set luma to chroma offset (or anything on the quantiser tab, for that matter), AQ also seems to be off, if you assume the blocked option with no tick means it's set to disabled. You can imagine my confusion.