Problem with audio sync and navigation of output files using MediaTomb

Started by PM47, September 17, 2012, 07:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PM47

Hi,

I've just started using AviDemux to convert TS files from my Humax Fox T2 Freeview receiver into MPG (PS) files for use with the Mediatomb UPNP server. I've been using ffmpeg to do this, which works faultlessly, but I have a few files I want to edit, removing adverts mainly, which is tedious using ffmpeg.

I really like the user interface and the way Avidemux works but I have a couple of problems. At present I'm simply copying the input video and audio streams to MPEG-PS (A+V) format to convert the Transport stream file from the Humax box to Program stream format. The conversion is quick and produces the PS MPG output file as expected. However, when I play the resulting file the audio is out of sync with the video and the navigation commands in Mediatomb don't quite work as they do with the same file converted using ffmpeg. The navigation works but always starts from the beginning of the file rather than from where it was last left as it does with the ffmpeg file. I have two small grandaughters who like to watch certain bits of their favourite films so effective navigation is a must :-)

Any suggestions please ? I would really like to use Avidemux to convert and edit these files but at present it's just not producing the result I need.

Paul

Jan Gruuthuse

mean did beat me to it :(
1st switch to avidemux 2.6, is better suited for .TS, see if this works better for you?
If not: Do editing in avidemux while staying in Mpeg-TS format, once edited do then the usual ffmpeg stuff.

Any special reason you use MPEG-PS (A+V) for mediatomb UPNP? I use sometimes MKV for twonky DLNA to samsung flatscreens.
38 seconds sample 13 MB: https://rapidshare.com/files/3145717756/mkvDemo.mkv
or video with external .srt subtitles 24 MB (if your flat screen support this): https://rapidshare.com/files/3142302152/TimelapseSRTDemo.zip

PM47

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 17, 2012, 09:59:38 AM
mean did beat me to it :(
1st switch to avidemux 2.6, is better suited for .TS, see if this works better for you?
If not: Do editing in avidemux while staying in Mpeg-TS format, once edited do then the usual ffmpeg stuff.

Any special reason you use MPEG-PS (A+V) for mediatomb UPNP? I use sometimes MKV for twonky DLNA to samsung flatscreens.
38 seconds sample 13 MB: https://rapidshare.com/files/3145717756/mkvDemo.mkv
or video with external .srt subtitles 24 MB (if your flat screen support this): https://rapidshare.com/files/3142302152/TimelapseSRTDemo.zip

Many thanks for your quick replies.

I'm using Vn 2.5.4 which is available from the Ubuntu Software Centre, I'll have a look for Vn 2.6 and find out how to install it manually.
I'll also try editing TS to TS and use ffmpeg afterwards, didn't think of that one :-)
Until recently I was running Tversity on a Windoze PC, which will play the TS files directly so long as the file extension is changed to 'mpg'. That was the last Windoze PC to be junked in favour of Ubuntu :-) I changed to Mediatomb as it's available through the Ubuntu Software Centre, Tversity isn't and I've yet to master installing Linux software manually. MPG PS just seemed the obvious format to use as it's universally compatible and I already have a lot of video in this format, I want to use something that is 'futureproof' and can be played by just about anything in the future without transcoding.

Thanks for the samples, I'll have a look when I have time later.

Paul

PM47

Morning all, unfortunately I don't have an AMD 64 bit system, all my PCs are atom D525s. Any standard Ubuntu DEBS anywhere ?

I've not yet tried to compile 2.6 on Ubuntu but I have run the windoze version in XP Pro on Virtualbox. Editing TS direct to PS, the sound sync problem appears to have gone but I still have a navigation problem in Mediatomb. When I get a chance I'll record and convert a small TV clip using ffmpeg and Avidemux and post them up here.

There must be some subtle difference in the resulting MPG files that  causes the problem - basically if I play the ffmpeg file, I use the right arrow key on my TV remote to navigate to, say, 5 minutes into the clip and it plays from that point, if I press the right arrow again the navigation bar appears with the cursor at the current play position, I can then navigate forwards or backwards as required. If I do the same with the Avidemux file, it plays, I navigate to 5mins and it plays from there. When I press the right arrow key the cursor is at the start of the recording, i.e. at 0 mins, I have no idea what the current play point is and have to navigate from the start again.

Paul

PM47

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 18, 2012, 09:24:27 AM
see if this works should be Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin: http://avidemux.org/nightly/precise32/

Many thanks, I get the following error with the Common Plugin file :

paul@UM02:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i avidemux3-plugins-COMMON-2.6.0-8194-Linux.deb
(Reading database ... 342254 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking avidemux3-plugins-common (from avidemux3-plugins-COMMON-2.6.0-8194-Linux.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing avidemux3-plugins-COMMON-2.6.0-8194-Linux.deb (--install):
corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
avidemux3-plugins-COMMON-2.6.0-8194-Linux.deb
paul@UM02:~/Downloads$

It doesn't appear to be a download error. The other three files install Ok.
Should these be installed in a particular order ? I installed them 'core', 'qt4', 'qt4 plugins', 'common plugins' and also tried reversing the last two.

Paul

Jan Gruuthuse

In donwload folder you should just double click these so SoftwareCenter should do the installation
1 avidemux3-core-2.6.0-r7xxx-Linux
2 avidemux3-plugins-COMMON-2.6.0-7xxx-Linux
3 avidemux3-qt4-2.6.0-7xxx-Linux
4 avidemux3-plugins-QT4-2.6.0-7xxx-Linux

PM47

Downloaded the latest files (19th).
Removed the previous install, then double clicked to install using the software centre as suggested.
Same problem with the second file ....

(Reading database ...
(Reading database ... 5%
...snip...
(Reading database ... 100%
(Reading database ... 342254 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking avidemux3-plugins-common (from .../avidemux3-plugins-COMMON-2.6.0-8194-Linux.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /home/paul/Downloads/avidemux3-plugins-COMMON-2.6.0-8194-Linux.deb (--install):
corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive
dpkg-deb (subprocess): data: internal gzip write error: Broken pipe
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
dpkg-deb (subprocess): failed in write on buffer copy for failed to write to pipe in copy: Broken pipe
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/paul/Downloads/avidemux3-plugins-COMMON-2.6.0-8194-Linux.deb

:-(

Jan Gruuthuse

This is not an official build, was build locally on my computer on a temporary build 3.2.0-30-generic 32-bit ubuntu 12.04.1 installation. Can you try this download avidemux 2.6 r8194 10.8 MB? And confirm if this one did install?

PM47

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 19, 2012, 11:23:35 AM
This is not an official build, was build locally on my computer on a temporary build 3.2.0-30-generic 32-bit ubuntu 12.04.1 installation. Can you try this download avidemux 2.6 r8194 10.8 MB? And confirm if this one did install?

Thanks, the core file and plugins install from this deb, the QT4 program and plugins install, the GTK program installs but the GTK plugins fail with the same problem as above. At least I can have a play with the QT4 version now, I'll let you know how it goes.

Just as a matter of interest, from a user perspective what is the difference between the QT4 version and the GTK version ? It looks like just the framework used for the GUI so has little effect on the underlying program ?

Paul

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: PM47 on September 19, 2012, 06:37:35 PM
Thanks, the core file and plugins install from this deb, the QT4 program and plugins install, the GTK program installs but the GTK plugins fail with the same problem as above. At least I can have a play with the QT4 version now, I'll let you know how it goes.
Yes, is a known quirky issue, you can only install avidemux3-plugins-COMMON and only one of the others, in our case that would be avidemux3-plugins-QT4. Avidemux 2.6 with QT interface has the most functionality.

QuoteJust as a matter of interest, from a user perspective what is the difference between the QT4 version and the GTK version ? It looks like just the framework used for the GUI so has little effect on the underlying program ?
I think GTK support will be gradually dropped, GTK is no longer uniformly over the different Operating Systems (linux, os x, windows)
See what one of the developers wrote: Gtk interface for Avidemux 2.6.0 in Windows?

Jan Gruuthuse

If you have the time, could you test the nightly build and see if that installs now correctly? Uninstall current avidemux3 (top right search field in software center) in software center.
And let know if that situation is changed?

PM47

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 21, 2012, 04:41:03 PM
If you have the time, could you test the nightly build and see if that installs now correctly? Uninstall current avidemux3 (top right search field in software center) in software center.
And let know if that situation is changed?

Sorry, this problem has been overtaken by others at present, but I will get back to it as soon as I can.

Paul