Encoding with x264 using "video size (two pass)" not working

Started by MetalMania, September 25, 2012, 06:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalMania

Hello
To cut things short I will go straight  to the problem. I have several .mts (AVC) files
that need to be converted to .mp4 (x264). All I want to do is to cut out entertainments and
encode using "file size (two pass)" set to 1600 MB. Unfortunately output file size (and quality)
is far from what I have set (946 MB). I suspect that this is Avidemux bug or maybe I'm wrong?

PS Avidemux 2.5 is completely useless to work with those files and length of encoded file witjh
2.6 is good.

Jan Gruuthuse

Seems to be working here? I go from 167.5 MB MPEG-TS. Encoding Mode: Video (Two Pass) Setting target to 85 Mb. It gives me a 53.6 MB video file? Targeting is not exact size, It should not go over the target size. As far as I understand the issue? Included source 167.5 MB and result video 53.6 MB. Download 7zip format: X264test.7z 207 MB
attached the project file used in this test.

I12learn

It seems that it isn't common to limit  a reasonable width.
Normally python and ECMA script allows to break long statement into several lines.

MetalMania

Tomorrow I'll see what comes out of these files that You've provided in the link. If the purpose of this option is not exceed set value than I've misunderstood it. In this case this option is basically useless for me. Scatter of file size in the order of  ~40% is too much. It looks like l have to play the rest of the modes to approach as close as possible to 1.6 GB.

MetalMania

I've checked these files. They are almost the same in terms of size, the difference is a few kilobytes. After doing some experimentation it turn out that using "Average Bitrate (Two Pass)" resolved my problem.