developers: ffmpeg message Please use avconv instead.

Started by Jan Gruuthuse, September 27, 2012, 05:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Gruuthuse

Did just notice this message on using ffmpeg
ffmpeg --help
Quoteffmpeg version 0.8.3-4:0.8.3-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the Libav developers
  built on Jun 12 2012 16:52:09 with gcc 4.6.3
*** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a future release. Please use avconv instead.

nieder

That just means that your copy of Ubuntu has a really old version of ffmpeg from when the libav group split off from the main Ffmpeg group.

The Ubuntu avconv packages only contain the binary 'ffmpeg' for backwards compatibility, having moved all their development to the binary 'avconv' which is why you are seeing that advisory.  The binary 'ffmpeg' from the 'ffmpeg' package is at version 0.11 (so 0.8.3 is ancient), and is generally more feature complete than the avconv packages.

However, given that avidemux uses an internal build of ffmpeg, not sure why it matters here that you are using an old obsolete binary in your system...

Jan Gruuthuse

Thanks, was aware of the forking. The 12.04.1 LTS ubuntu should be good for the next 4 years. Really wanted to know if developers would also make the switch and if not, would that pose any problems?

styrol

Why should they switch and why should the forking be a problem for the used internal ffmpeg? I think the developers will only switch if there are crucial advantages. And as nieder said ffmpeg is generally more feature complete than the avconv package.

Jan Gruuthuse

How would I know as user? Just seeing this a Debian / Ubuntu chosen path? Avidemux is currently very ubuntu orientated. So is it not normal to have questions on this and the interaction (libraries, ...?)
QuoteSince the time of the fork, both Debian and Ubuntu have switched packages to use Libav instead of FFmpeg.

styrol

You didn't ask any questions in your initial post and I'm still not sure if you understand the term 'internal ffmpeg'...

Jan Gruuthuse

Why should that be odd, as user your are confronted with that message. Yes internal, still runs/interacts on an OS that did go with Libav developers, so how can I know as user what the implication is? It is not my fault is it, that the fork is there?
QuoteThis program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a future release.

nieder

You seem to be confusing the ffmpeg/avconv installed by Ubuntu with the ffmpeg that's internal to avidemux.  The two are completely independent.  They don't communicate with each other, they don't affect each other, they don't care about each other.  Ubuntu could also remove avconv from the distribution and it won't affect the behavior of avidemux because it's copy of ffmpeg is internal.

No, it's not your fault that Ubuntu switched to avconv, nor is it that running ffmpeg/avconv gives that deprecation warning.  But you don't ask anything in the original post and when provided with the most likely answer (system-avconv has no bearing on what avidemux uses), you kept asking the same question.

To be clear: avidemux uses it's own internal build of ffmpeg.  It doesn't matter if the the system has switched to avconv.  It won't affect avidemux.  And if avidemux does decide to switch to avconv in the future, it will again be an internal build, and will act completely independent of the system-avconv (or ffmpeg).

Jan Gruuthuse

Thank you. I do understand the concept of internal ffmpeg.
Quoteand will act completely independent of the system-avconv
and now I understand the internal ffmpeg is not relying on system installed librar(y/ies) like libavcodec. If that is what you're saying.