[SOLVED]No sound when appending clip after 'no-sound' clip?

Started by dracuella, September 30, 2012, 08:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dracuella

Hello all,

I'm trying to append several gaming video clips and in order to make the transition between them nice, I've been adding fade sequences. What I've done is:
- create 'video1'
- from 'video1' take the last frame only, duplicated it 50 times, filter it with fade to black, remove all sound and save it as 'video1-fade' (via copy in audio, video)
- create 'video2'

When I merge all three, however, there is no sound on video2. The sound is fine on video1 but it seems as if video2 borrows the 'no audio' settings of video2-fade (sorry for the many mentionings of the word video ^_^')

I have tried:
- reencoding both the fade sequence and the whole video with the MPEG4 AVC (which I learned earlier today is, in fact, another name for H.264) instead of copy but the end result is the same
- saving 'video1' and 'video1-fade' as one file, then append 'video2' but the result is weird audio (the fade bit takes audio from the beginning of the 'video1' clip)

Is there something I need to do in order to prevent the last clip from losing sound? Do I need to 'finalize' the fade sequences somehow? Or if this is simply the wrong way of doing things, could you point me in the right direction? The only thing I'm unwilling to do is compromise on quality. I've been struggling with this for some time now and would appreciate any help and ideas you might have

Info: WinXP sp3, Avidemux 2.5.6-1, videos are AVI/H.264, the videos with sound are mp3 256Kb, the fade sequence has no audio
video1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5087335/video1.avi
video1-fade: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5087335/video1-fade.avi
video2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5087335/video2.avi

Jan Gruuthuse

Create an mp3 track for videoclip without sound with same settings as the ones with sound. You could do this with Audacity. The sound could even be silent. Re-save video2-fade with added mp3 track. See if that works.

dracuella

Thanks Jan, that does indeed work.

Perhaps you (or someone else) could tell me why the clip after the fade/no sound clip loses it's sound?  I'm trying to avoid future mix-ups, not necessarily just with no-sound entries.
Also can I instead of using 'no sound' just set the sound to muted or something in Avidemux so I won't have to add the empty mp3 file every time?

Jan Gruuthuse

Main reason is the clip without sound. If you make fades same length, perhaps you can add the same length of silence. Mute won't work the audio track is missing in fade clip.
Don't know if developers see a way out/around this?

dracuella

Yeah I removed the audio track in the fade clip since it was just stuttering (50 times repeat the sound of the last frame). But instead of choosing 'no audio' which results in missing audio, I would have liked to be able to silence it somehow, like Audacity has a silence audio (I think it's called).

But I digress, thank you very much for your suggestion, it works perfectly :)