News:

--

Main Menu

[SOLVED]Problem with one-way Audio

Started by dataweaver, October 09, 2012, 06:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dataweaver

For some reason, when I supply an external audio track, Avidemux 2.6.0 on Win64 accesses it sequentially: that is, if I play the first two seconds of video, I get the first two seconds of audio; if I then skip over five seconds of video and play two more seconds of audio, I get the third and fourth seconds of the audio.  If I then skip back to the start of the video and replay the first two seconds, I now get the fifth and sixth seconds of audio.  And if I save the video at that point, it starts pulling in the audio from the seventh second. 

In a nutshell: no matter what I do, whenever Avidemux accesses an external audio file, it starts somewhere later in the audio than wherever it left off the last time it accessed it (or the very beginning, if it hasn't accessed it before).  And if it runs out of audio, it crashes. 

Edit: I'm using the default 2.6.0, no revisions; I attempted to download the most recent revision (http://avidemux.org/nightly), and was informed by my 7z decompression app (TUGZip 3.5) that the file is not a valid archive. 

New Edit: I have updated to the most recent build (r8196), and the original problem is persisting. 

mean

A sample audio track would help to make sure we reproduce it exactly

dataweaver

Note that I'm really not supposed to be sharing the following files; so once you've verified the problem, please delete them and let me know so I can take them down.  Note also that it doesn't appear to matter what audio files I use; I run into the problem regardless.  But in the interest of minimizing the unknown factors, here are the files I'm using. 

OK: this video (44.77MB) is supposed to be paired with this audio (5.18MB). 
And this video (14.51MB) is supposed to be paired with this audio (2.29MB). 

To reproduce the issue, simply open the video file, go to "Select Track" on the Audio menu, and use "Add Audio Track" to replace Track 0 From Video.  Then go ahead and hit Play, wait a few seconds, hit Stop, wait a few more seconds, and then hit Play again: the audio will pick up later in the track as if it had never stopped playing.  Try jumping to the middle of the video, playing a bit, and then jumping back to the beginning to play some more. 

In addition to the aforementioned problems, the second audio file is playing at half speed; I haven't investigated why this is so yet.  Note that that audio was extracted directly from the associated video using AviDemux 2.5.6-1; so it should work exactly like the built-in audio.  (The first audio also matches the associated video's internal audio; but in that case, the cause-and-effect is the other way around: I used AviDemux 2.5.6-1 to assemble them.)

Jan Gruuthuse

Second audio points to avi video and not audio. I'm not a developer, just testing.

dataweaver

Thanks for catching that; it was a copy/paste error that I've now corrected.

Jan Gruuthuse

preliminary findings: same issue exists in avidemux 2.6 linux
It goes even further, once you stopped and go to middle of the clip and let it play to where the sound stop playing: stop. Then jump to beginning of video clip: soundtrack is no longer playing.
Perhaps developers have a clue what is going on?

Extracting audio is safer when using audacity:
I used this method <- click and extracted the audio track of second video clip and changed in audacity the audio clipping (normalize). And replaced the audiotrack with avidemux 2.6.
We know the player in avidemux is not performing as it should.
Replaced audio download <- click

Jan Gruuthuse

I've done the second test with 2.5.6 with the 2 provided files: seems to be ok (again on linux)? did compare provided audio file against the audacity extracted audio track and they seems to be very similar.

dataweaver

I've had no problems with AviDemux 2.5.6; the problems have solely been with 2.6.0. 

Jan Gruuthuse

OK did miss understand the: I used AviDemux 2.5.6-1.

dataweaver

Yes, you did.  The "I used 2.5.6-1" statements were describing successful applications and extractions of audio, intended to point out the relationship between the video and audio files in question.  No worries, though; I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

Note also that saving a file in 2.6.0 with an external audio file has the same effect of playing it all the way through: after the save, you no longer have access to the audio. 

Jan Gruuthuse

the audio slow down did not happen with 2.6 linux in the saved video: result

problem: when playing in avidemux with replaced audio track: audio is slowed down (1/2 speed or something like that)

Jan Gruuthuse

OK, reiterating problem :
  • When loading the 2nd video and replacing the audio track: the audio plays slow in avidemux.
  • When saving the video, playing the still loaded video in avidemux 2.6: audio is lost.
The saved video with replaced audio track plays still normal in VLC.

dataweaver

Close.  It seems that any time you substitute an external file for the internal one, anything that causes you to start going through it (whether that be "play the video" or "save the video" causes you to go through the audio from beginning to end, once, and with no chance of stopping or rewinding to an earlier point.  Play a few seconds of the video, then stop; wait a few seconds, then start playing it again.  Without jumping around at all, you'll find that when you start playing the video again, the audio will be considerably further along than when you stopped the video. 

mean

There are 2 bugs indeed
I fixed one locally (was preventing seeking from working), looking at the 2nd one

Jan Gruuthuse

looking forward to next svn release, thanks.