Excessive CPU usage during playback - part 2

Started by eltomassito, October 12, 2012, 06:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eltomassito

Sorry for my second post but this crappy forum hang up when I tried add attachments and I can't open first thread for couple of days even on second account. Postmaster didn't help to resolve this problem.

Problem occurs during playback many 720p videos (mp4 or wmv). I have 2.5 and 2.6 versions installed. In 2.5 CPU usage is about 40% on 2.6 CPU very often reaches 100% and frames are dropped.
I'm using Windows 7 32bit. The newest VGA driver from Intel website. Mobo Asus P8H61-M PRO R3.0 and CPU Intel Pentium G630T. I tried to install the newest LAVFilters but it didn't help.
AviDemux is downloaded from sourceforge, currently available version.

Below CPU Usage on the same vid in 2.5 and 2.6 version:

Jan Gruuthuse

in avidemux 2.6: Main Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> [Video] (tab)
Video display: select something else if you have here OpenGL selected.
If you don't have OpenGL selected try OpenGL (could be a conflict with intel driver)
Default Postprocessing unselect the 3 [ ] options there.
You can mark Enable openGL support.
[Threading] (tab)
Multi-threading: select (Ã,°) Custom [2] (real cores)
Prioritisation: Lower each option one step
See if this helps.
Install Process Explorer v15.23 this gives you more detail then system information.

eltomassito

Iv'e tried every options and didn't help. I've tried even uncheck CPU decoding features.
Process Explorer shows avidemux as most consuming process (97%).
As video decoder always is Lavcodec selected. Maybe if it will be possible to change it to another decoder then it will help. But I can't change it.

Jan Gruuthuse

Should not be happening G630T is very similar to core I3
Check if you can find and delete the avidemux file config2 could be somewhere in something like:
%APPDATA%/avidemux/
%APPDATA%/avidemux6
%APPDATA%/Roaming/avidemux/
%APPDATA%/Roaming/avidemux6/
Use windows search with option included system folders and hidden files.
That file should be rebuild upon restarting avidemux.

You are sure no other problems are causing issues on your computer? virus or whatever?
QuoteSorry for my second post but this crappy forum hang up when I tried add attachments

eltomassito

Deleting didn't help. I've deleted config even from registry.
It's not virus. I can't open first thread from another computer too.
Tomorrow I'll try to reinstall OS. Maybe it will help.
In the meantime thanks for your help and contribution:)

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: eltomassito on October 12, 2012, 06:28:35 PM
>8 >8
It's not virus. I can't open first thread from another computer too.
Neither can I open that posting, gives a:"Internal Server Error" for this one Excessive CPU usage during playback

eltomassito

Reinstallation didn't help. Problem occurs even on clean system. I think it's no possibility to find solution. It must be bug in the software. Poor compatibility with Pentium Desktop Processors from SandyBridge family. I don't know if it's possible to report this to developers because I can't see any contact or link for reporting.

Jan Gruuthuse

Developers are reading here to.
Where did you download 32-bit avidemux 2.6?

eltomassito

In beta is the same. But I think I find the issue. Problem occurs with movies from my camera. I've tested them on quad CPU Core i7 2600 @3.4GHz and the result is the same. 100% on certain cores and stuttering. I think it's problem in Lavcodec used by Avidemux for decoding. Here is example of my movie:
https://hotfile.com/dl/176156977/112dffb/Test.mov.html

nibbles

A couple of things are worth mentioning. The lead developer has stated several times that Avidemux is not at all meant to be a playback application and that people need to use something like mplayer for that.  Out of sync audio during playback, stuttering, excessive CPU usage are all expected to occur, and playback is not optimized for at all. On OSX we don't even have audio. So I wouldn't sweat this very much.

Secondly, you definitely will see an improvement if you enable opengl and can verify that it's in use by looking at your avidemux logs. There will be a ton of opengl messages in there if it's working.

eltomassito

I'm not using Avidemux for playing videos. But in my case playback is very important because I'm setting splitting points roughly by picture and precisely by hear. So if there is stuttering and out of sync then I have completely no precision.
Can you restore playing engine (as option for selection) from 2.5 version? It was much better then this from 2.6.

nibbles

2.6 is complete rewrite of Avidemux, and as such the parts of 2.5 you like can't drop into 2.6. Sorry about the hassle, but most people around here use a separate program for playback and finding their split points.  What did you find in your avidemux logs?  Was it full of opengl messages? I would also set my Playback Priority to "Above Normal" or "Normal."  The default option is too extreme for modern multitasking operating systems (that are doing a lot of there things in the background).

Also there is nothing stopping you from running 2.5 and 2.6 at the same time I suppose (but I don't run Windows anymore).  When I did use it, I also used Avisynth and AVSP, but that was 10 years ago.

I just examined your test.mov file, and it plays back on OSX at 12% CPU without stuttering (but like I said, Avidemux doesn't have audio on OSX).

eltomassito

Finding split points in external player is very inconvenient and time consuming.

Changing priority don't help.

In log is only:
[UI_RunApp] OpenGL enabled at built time, checking if we should run it..
[UI_RunApp] OpenGL not activated, not initialized
But I have installed the newest vga driver from Intel website (SandyBridge HD Graphics 2000).

If I disable the sound for movie then it plays fluently and CPU usage is lower.