NeoScene to convert AVCHD to AVI?

Started by yetanotherlogin, October 30, 2012, 09:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yetanotherlogin

Hello

Like a lot of newbies, I bought a (Sony) camcorder only to find that very few editors can work with AVCHD files :-/

I tried Sony Vegas Studio, but couldn't figure out how to shrink a 40mn/2.5GB video I took of a conference. The different formats I tried were all still pretty big, although I don't need high-quality video since it's aimed for YouTube anyway.

Someone mentionned using NeoScene to convert AVCHD files into AVI, so I'd like to try this and edit the files with AviDemux.

Will this work?

Thank you.

Jan Gruuthuse

Avidemux should be able to edit avchd m2ts video. If you find this not to be the case. Provide a 5 sec. or 20 MB video clip from your camcorder. Upload to rapidshare or similar web service and provide the link to it.

styrol

QuoteAvidemux should be able to edit avchd m2ts video.
Avidemux 2.6

yetanotherlogin

Thanks for the help.

However, I don't know how to keep just a sample from the original AVCHD file. Through Project > Render, Vegas forces me to choose formats that seem to be more compact instead of just copying the original.

Is there another tool I could use to extract a bit and try editing it with the dev version of AviDemux?

Incidently, this worked although the output file is heavily compressed (10% of the original file):
ffmpeg -i myfile.mts --codec:v mpeg4 -profile:v 3 -codec:a copy myfile.mp4

Jan Gruuthuse

Have you tried with avidemux 2.6 this should open these files. If still not working:
Make just a 5 second recording with your camera upload that. Converted mts to mp4 is no use for solving issues for mts not read by avidemux 2.6.

yetanotherlogin

Thanks. The latest dev binary for Windows could open the MTS file successfully. I'll experiment editing it and see how it goes.

Thank you.