Avidemux 2.6.0 - what's up with this version

Started by thany, December 09, 2012, 02:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thany

I don't get it, why was 2.6.0 released even though it is lacking in so many ways? And why is 2.5 still here? Well obviously because 2.6 is a horrorshow, but that's like Microsoft releasing Vista and everyone still wanting XP...

Okay, to sum it up, this is what I noticed so far:

1) There is no proper queue anymore. Yes you can add items to the queue, but you can't actually work with it.
2) Saving/loading filters is gone.
3) The first pass encoding window has been reduced to almost nothing.
4) Showing video as output or splitscreen is gone.
5) The number of video codecs is greatly reduced.
6) OGM and FLV containers are no longer supported.
7) Not all settings are remembered. Try hiding Audio Metre (whatever the hell that is).
8) Why are there so many filters that do pretty much the same thing? This needs some serious refactoring.
9) The OpenGL filter category is empty...
10) A dummy filter? Why the heck would anyone need that?
11) The 2nd pass encoding window is better, but is STILL doesn't allow you to put it to the notification area, or to minimize it. This has been requested many times.
12) What good is it to have two AAC, two MP2, two AC3, and two MPEG4 ASP encoders??

Honestly guys, how did this make it to a full release? How did these things (or the really obvious things at least) slip through?

It's just that this version is a lot more stable than 2.5... Sometimes. That's the only reason I sometimes need to revert to it. Otherwise, 2.6 is just unusable.

Jan Gruuthuse

mean

Again : Try editing H264 or a capture file with 2.5

twinsun

Quote from: mean on December 09, 2012, 09:05:29 AM
Again : Try editing H264 or a capture file with 2.5
+1, 2.6 is a great improvement regarding captured files (using 2.5 was hell with these).
Works fine with HD mp4 (h264, avc), for example.
Try it with 2.5 and pray for a perfect streamed file.

Isias

2.6 is an awesome step forward. I use it for all my DVB-S 2 HD recordings now. It dramaticly cut down the workflow with HD / x264 material. Only thing also bugging me is that also with 2.6.1 it's stil not possible to use the queue. You can add jobs to it. If you open the avidemux_jobs.exe it wll list all jobs. But that's it.

Once you select to start a job, it displays a short process bar, closes it after 4 seconds and sets the status to "Failed". You also can't use the clean jobs button or anything else. To put it in a nutshell, it's only possible to add a job to the list, but not to start it or affect it in any other way once you've added it. So, queuing seems to be broken, sadly. Using Windows 7 SP 1 x64 build with x64 build of Avidemux V.2.6.1

Another thing that started to happen with 2.6.1, if you select x264 as video decoder and go to "Output 1" in the configuration menu, it's no more possible to check Pixel Aspect Ratio "As Input". It's just grey and can't be selected anymore. This didn't happen with 2.6.0. Is that intentional behaviour? Because i want to crop the black 4:3 pal borders left and right of my recordings with the crop filter to save file space, but stil keep the aspect ratio as it was in the input material. This worked only (but then perfectly) if i selected "as input". If i didn't check that one, my output file always had a "wrong" aspect ratio and i fear that now this problem will come back?

mean

Make sure you have avidemux_cli.exe in the same folder when using jobs

Isias

I just verified the file is there. I got avidemux_cli.exe, avidemux.exe and avidemux_jobs.exe in C:\Program Files\Avidemux. Stil, queuing sadly doesn't work, as well as it's no more possible to select "as input" for video files.

thany

Well, with all these issues, Avidemux 2.6 is a complete no-go for me.

It should not need this much fiddling and frustration to get things working that used to work fine.