v 2-6 Screen size larger than window size in Gnome 3

Started by redtux1, March 28, 2013, 03:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redtux1

Using Gnome 3.6 (Fedora 18) and avidemux_gtk 2.6.1 I have the following issue

The size of the window appears to be fixed and does not fit on a widescreen monitor (screenshot attached). This means that I cannot see the bottom row of buttons and entry boxes

The preview screen size appears fixed and does not shrink to fit the video, even after zoom in and I cannot resize the window

Screenshot attached

Jan Gruuthuse

Press numeric keypad  [3] to scale video down on desktop.
Try avidemux QT version, not GTK! Not much development is going on in GTK version.

redtux1

3 - no effect
Zoom scales the video but not the preview window
QT version is far worse - cant even see scroll bars or search buttons

Jan Gruuthuse

Sorry for my ignorance, would this play on fedora 18?: http://avidemux.org/nightly/fedora17_32/
Consider installing ubuntu 12.04 lts (good for another 4 years to come) as an additional os to boot from just for running avidemux. Linux would give you up to 4 primary partitions to boot from on each hard disc 1st (0) or 2nd, ....
You wont regret doing this when editing/cutting video regularly. If you're not familiar using gparted/resizing/installing multi boot OS seek someone experienced doing so. Make backups for stuff you don't want to lose.

redtux1

On 64 bit I'm afraid, though will test on a 32 bit machine later

Not a fan of Ubuntu I'm afraid, especially the decisions as regards ffmpeg (this program is no longer supported etc)

Everything does work its just this issue that is the problem

Jan Gruuthuse

Should 32-bit not be able to run on 64-bit machine?

fbacher

I run 64-bit Ubuntu 12.10 and have ALWAYS had problems with Avidemux 0.2.5.6 (GTK) changing window sizes randomly with each video that I open with it always creeping to a size too large to be usable requiring me to exit and relaunch the application. My desktop is set to gnome.

I have tried 0.26 a few times and have found it unusable for my purposes. I tried it most recently today with version 2.6.3 and it locked up making a simple trim of an .mpg (copy) of a captured recording.

I would be grateful for any work around for this problem.

Jan Gruuthuse

With avidemux 2.6.3 QT version? 12.10 32/64-bit version? .mpg is not really saying much?
Trim like cutting from start and end or also block from the middle?
Do you have control/choice over the captured format?
Can you upload a 5 second capture to a public viewable/down loadable folder @ Rapidshare or similar web service and provide a download link to it?
Rarely come across trimming issues with avidemux 2.6.3 QT version.

fbacher

Upon further investigation my description of 2.6.3 was inaccurate. I built it on my system and debugging must be enabled by default so a ton of tracing goes to my gnome terminal. If I minimize the terminal window it causes Avidemux to lock up. Nor can I exit Avidemux via Ctrl-C from the terminal. I have never seen behavior like that before. I'm not even sure how I could blame Avidemux for it unless it goes crazy about buffering of stdout, or some such.

Anyway, if I redirect the output to a file I can use 2.6.3, but the resulting .mpg is not usable. The discussion of that is off topic so I'll discuss that elsewhere.

Jan Gruuthuse

you could try: these 64-bit builds : avidemux Cli/QT 2.6.3 64-bit deb download ubuntu
If avidemux3_2.6.3_64bit_r8539 12.10 version works. Then we could check the main differences between the 2 builds.
My hardware setup:
User Interface: Qt (4.8.1)

Display Server:  X Server 1.13.2.902
Display Driver: NVIDIA Corporation
Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz (4 Cores) with 16 GB ram
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2 1024MB (810/535MHz)
OpenGL render: GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2