News:

--

Main Menu

Can't see the subtitles in preview.

Started by MrAccident, May 23, 2013, 05:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrAccident

Hello.
I want to embed subtitles in a video. I go to the filter and choose the srt option. I think I do everything correctly; but in the preview, I don't see the subtitles. I also tried to make a file; it turned-out without subtitles.
Maybe there's something wrong with the srt file; so I submit the file here. Please tell me if something is wrong with it; or is there something special I should do?

Jan Gruuthuse

Have you selected a suitable truetype font in filter setting? I only get preview when truetype font is selected.
If you rename "My Last Days_ Meet Zach Sobiech(720p_H.264-AAC).srt" to the same name of the video and have both in the same folder: it plays well in VLC, so subtitle text looks fine

MrAccident

What I meant is that someone will try to preview it in Avidemux; it works for me in VLC too.

What do you mean by "truetype font"?
I tried without choosing a font at all in one instance; and I copied "tahoma.ttf" from Windows's fonts to the same folder and chose it.
Neither worked.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: MrAccident on May 23, 2013, 06:58:33 PM
What do you mean by "truetype font"?
.ttf, as you guesed  TrueType
QuoteI tried without choosing a font at all in one instance; and I copied "tahoma.ttf" from Windows's fonts to the same folder and chose it.
Neither worked.
No font selected = no output.
Probably you need to select a font that support your specific language (right to left) not sure if tahoma would support this. Have my self no way of testing this. Don't have windows.
Perhaps this test will work? Use word processor load the srt file (is ascii text) and see what truetype font(s) show the text correctly. Copy the this truetype font to the used folder and select this font.
It should work in filter preview or in player mode. Don't for get to select Output ââ,¬â€œ display filtered output in the main window in the player:

MrAccident

I see now that it's not about the language at all.
I tried an existing and working srt file; and it still doesn't work.
In "Encoding" I chose UTF-8; don't know what I'm suppose to choose.

I didn't really understood - "Output ââ,¬â€œ display filtered output in the main window".
There's a button with an arrow on it, that says "output"; but I can only click on it or not; no other options.

I attach the other srt file; it's really for the movie "The Tall Man (2012)".
Does it work for you in Avidemux?

Jan Gruuthuse

when you click that icon and then play subtitles should be showing in avidemux.
In filter preview you use slider to see subtitles
used ttf font: http://rapidshare.com/files/1916201626/DejaVuSans.ttf.zip download 0.35 MB

MrAccident

Simply doesn't work.
I attach an image of the options; do I miss something here?

The ttf file in rapidshare - no longer available.
I chose "Ariel"; I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Jan Gruuthuse

That should be it. Only thing I can think of is to simplify paths and filenames.
Create folder video in C:\, copy video, subtitle and font file to this folder. Rename both video and subtitle file to test.
See if it works now?
Have you tried with font I uploaded. Now that I think of it, a user had to reinstall truetype fonts in windows, had also issues with subtitles.

MrAccident

Indeed it was the path I guess.
I actually had that thought in my mind; and I was going to test it as the last resort.
The thing is that usually there's a problem with programs that have issues with languages; so I didn't take this option seriously, because Avidemux never had issues, when working with videos only.
I made this path - "C:\My Last Days"; and now it works.
Well actually... we're finally left with only the language issue. x-D
Yes... I see both the English sub, and the Hebrew; but only with UTF-8 encoding; if I choose "Hebrew encoding" - I don't see the sub.
And in UTF-8 - it's LTR instead of RTL.