News:

--

Main Menu

Converting VOB to AVI - get audio but not video

Started by praetas, May 31, 2013, 12:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

praetas

Hi there, new to Avidemux.  I have a VOB file from a home video ripped with DVD Decrypter to my Windows 7 PC and can open the VOB in PowerDVD and play it fine. 

I'm trying to add it to Windows Movie Maker, but it says it can't read the file so I want to convert it to AVI (it can read VOB1, just not VOB2 for some reason).

When I open the problem VOB in Avidemux it shows encoder as Lavcodec, defaults to copy video output, copy audio output, and output format is AVI Muxer.  I save the AVI and when I click to open it, it opens as if its an audio-only file.  If I try to add it to WMM, it shows the full length of the video, but there is only audio.

I have tried different video output settings and output format settings, with no success. 

Any ideas to help me convert this?  ;D

Jan Gruuthuse

for windows movie maker try re encoding video to mpeg-1 with avidemux 2.5.6, keep avi container.

praetas

I have version 2.6.1.  Is there a big difference?  Also, for Video output, I don't have "MPEG-1" as an option.  I have MPEG2 and a few flavors of MPEG4.

Jan Gruuthuse

Yes 2.5.6 is frame based and better suited for vob, MPEG-1, ... . 2.6. branch is time based editor. You can have both alongside

Requiem

Keep the "Output Format" as AVI, but change the "Video Output" to MPEG4 ASP (xvid). See if that works. :)