Using different versions of the same branch alongside

Started by gabohw, June 05, 2013, 12:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabohw

Avidemux 2.6.1. is the only program that can deal with my captured TS files: fast, accurate and produces nice avi files as result. It handles my captured PS files as well. It has some bugs (forgets input / output folders, sometimes crashes when seeking with the wheel contol, does not load crash file, etc.), but I can workaround these errors.

Avidemux 2.6.4. fixes many bugs, so it is much more comfortable for PS edit (works fine, and 1.5x faster). However, TS editing gone wrong:

- Crash on near every cut (OK, I can continue since loads crash file now).
- 2-pass / file size xvid / ac3 encoding does not produces output: finish after pass1 without result file for the first time, then pass2 produces file of wrong size (maybe pass1 stats are ignored).

So, is it possible to use 2.6.1. and 2.6.4. alongside on the same machine (WinXP)? Maybe it is only a matter of working folder / registry key naming. Can I hack it by hand or can you provide me a patch to do this?

Thanks,

gabohw

mean

If the exe name is avidemux_portable.exe definitively yes
If not, you might have settings reset each time you switch from one to  the other

Regarding the crash, if you have a way to reproduce them easily i can have a look

gabohw

Thank you for the infos.

I downgraded Avidemux to 2.6.1., so I cannot reproduce the crash now. Maybe it is the same as reported under 'Avidemux 2.6.4 problems', and hopefully fixed. The wrong output size is the bigger pain for me...

How can I reset settings? Can I start GUI with an option like avidemux.exe -reset?

Unfortanately I cannot find portable version on the official homepage, and the last portable version I found is 2.6.1. Anyway, I don't want to try download from elsewhere (see freevideoeditor issue). Please let me know if I can download 2.6.4. portable from a trusted site.

Thanks,

gabohw

mean

just rename the exe to avidemux_portable.exe makes it portable

gabohw

Thank you all!

I tried the _portable trick using the nightly build and it works fine (settings are stored in prg folder instead of user folder - great!). Moreover, it seemed to work as fine as 2.6.1: it was hard to crash and output size was correct.  8)

Thanks,

gabohw

bernd_b

Is there a way to use self compiled versions of the same branch alongside in Linux?
Or let me put the question this way:
Can I modify the source in a simple way to run avidemux 2.6.x directly from the install folder in the source file instead of copying the files to /usr/* first?

mean

yes and no
For the plugins, they are searched in the INSTALL_PREFIX/lib/xxxx
so if you have a different INSTALL_PREFIX (e.g. /opt) it will work

But for the main libs, they are looked up by the system
So on windows that's fine, on linux you might pick up the wrong ones