News:

--

Main Menu

Quality good but far too many crashes

Started by ro2124, July 19, 2013, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ro2124

Recently came across avidemux and initially impressed how good the quality was-at last, I thought a program that easy to use and produces goods results.
Unfortunately it turned out it was full of other flaws, the biggest problem is the amount of crashes. Crashes are constant and very frustrating having spent a lot of time editing to lose it all. Although I do save the project even that does not help at times. Just wasted two hours editing a vid and now its crashing all the time. It saved as project OK, but when saving actual vid it always crashes when about 85-87 % done.

another thing that the prog is sadly lacking is an undo function, there were times when I made mistake deleting something by mistake, but you cant undo it,- very basic feature almost all other editors have!
Tried the reset edit function but that does not bring back the deleted item - or causes yet another crash.

So in theory a good program, ultimately let down by unreliability..after the latest crash wasting hours of work I have had it with avidemux and am going back to other editors.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: ro2124 on July 19, 2013, 01:23:15 PM
Crashes are constant and very frustrating having spent a lot of time editing to lose it all
Nice telling when you left the building.

mean

It does not help much
If you say what you do to be sure to cause a crash it will be fixed
Additionnaly trying a nightly might help

ro2124

>If you say what you do to be sure to cause a crash it will be fixed

What I do? Its not rocket science...I do what one is supposed to with edit program. I load the vid,  edit it, save it as project-  and then prog crashes!
Tried various settings always the same- crash around mid 80% mark.

Eventually tried to edit the same Vid with Sony Vegas, that worked no problem, although with Vegas quality not always top notch, but this time was OK.

Avidemux works OK with some vids, other seem to crash... so as I said shall go back to other progs which do not seem to crash so often.... shame really if it worked better would be my first choice.

Jan Gruuthuse

Bug reporting for newcomers
Hey my car is not working! I'm supposed to start the car and drive with it and it doesn't start so I can't drive. I gonna buy a new car. No rocket science either.
That's what your saying.

AQUAR

@ ro2124
I would not normally reply to posts like yours but maybe you are just a pup and need some HELP.

We know that the consequence of your project is "it crashes Avidemux".
We know your conclusion is "Avidemux is crap".

That is not a good approach to ask for help , seriously.

What is needed is information that may lead to solving your problem.
Maybe - what kind of video clip - editing function - avidemux version - pc environment etc etc.

Finally, asking nicely would induce a willingness to help from those that know what you may not.

zakk

Jan and Aquar, I am shocked by your replies. Ro2124 is giving us his feedback on Avidemux, you have no right to be rude when someone gives up with your favorite video editing program. You have made the decision to stay with Avidemux and help making it better (so do I) but you could accept other people's decisions:

Jan: yes when a car is not able to do what I want, I have the right to buy another without being criticized.
Aquar: you are new to this forum and you give yourself the right giving lessons to people ?

Ro2124 is right: there ARE problems. Avidemux is great when it works with your particular videos and when what you need is implemented.

Ro2124, personnally I edit DVB streams, which sometimes contain transmission errors. The last build I use is r8494 that you can use IF you want to give it another try. I don't know where to find it but I can send it to you. Thanks for your feedback.

Or if you have patience you can upload a sample of your crashing videos, Mean is always ready to help and sometimes fixes the problem very quickly.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: zakk on July 20, 2013, 08:01:50 AM
Jan , I am shocked by your replies. Ro2124 is giving us his feedback on Avidemux, you have no right to be rude when someone gives up with your favorite video editing program. You have made the decision to stay with Avidemux and help making it better (so do I) but you could accept other people's decisions:

Jan: yes when a car is not able to do what I want, I have the right to buy another without being criticized.

As you wish zakk: Not the 1st time you pick a fight with me: you won. I'll quit. I'll stop posting, so there want be any more abuse from my side. By the way you're over 300 updates behind with avidemux.

AQUAR

@ zakk

I wasn't being rude nor did I imply avidemux was perfect.
Only a few days ago avidemux didn'twork for me either, but it was fixed with some Adult communication.

I am not new to this forum either, just an in-frequent visitor. So your point is what?

People post a problem are most likely asking for help, implicitly or otherwise.
Help can only be provided with an exchange of information.
I merely suggested to do that politely and provided some hints of things to include (how rude of me!).

Now there is no need to reply to me because I have nothing else to contribute on this topic. 

ro2124

@ Zakk

Well was not going to comment on that, but  since you mentioned it, -Yes, l also thought the replies were pretty rude. It was never my intention to slag off Avidemux, so I was somewhat pissed to read comments like this :

>but maybe you are just a pup and need some HELP.
>We know that the consequence of your project is "it crashes Avidemux".
>We know your conclusion is "Avidemux is crap".

Talk about putting words in peoples mouth! Not to mention the rather sweeping statement -especially from a newbie "We know your conclusion, blah blah" ...whoever "We" is!

In fact I said it was a very good prog -when it works-but had some problems with it and just posted my experience of what happened, but seems making some criticism or feedback is not allowed here and must be countered by abuse!

But not really surprised, seems that is standard fare these days anywhere on Internet, no matter what you post, some people instantly have to go into Troll mode, put words into peoples mouth and abuse.

Video editing is not my field of expertise, I can only judge but what I experienced. All I know is the dozen or so Videos that crashed, I tried on other programs Vegas,Windows Movie Maker, etc  and they worked on there no problem whatsoever!
So excuse me if I came to the conclusion, there is at times a prob with some vids on avidemux!

>Ro2124, personnally I edit DVB streams, which sometimes contain transmission errors. The last build I >use is r8494 that you can use IF you want to give it another try. I don't know where to find it but I >can send it to you. Thanks for your feedback.

Ok thanks for that Zakk, nice to see there are people who can make comments without resorting to abuse.
Actually I suspected with some of the vids that crashed, it was the videos that caused the prob not avidemux, as one or two also did not work with Vegas etc, but most of the other crashed vids worked perfectly well in other programs...Well, as you said " >.... is right: there ARE problems. Avidemux is great when it works"

---------------------------
>Jan and Aquar, I am shocked by your replies. Ro2124 is giving us his feedback on Avidemux, you >have no right to be rude when someone gives up with your favorite video editing program. You have made the decision to stay with Avidemux and help making it better (so do I) but you could accept other >people's decisions:

Aquar: you are new to this forum and you give yourself the right giving lessons to people ?

Ro2124 is right: there ARE problems. Avidemux is great when it works with your particular videos and when what you need is implemented.

>Ro2124, personnally I edit DVB streams, which sometimes contain transmission errors. The last build I >use is r8494 that you can use IF you want to give it another try. I don't know where to find it but I >can send it to you. Thanks for your feedback.

ro2124

@AQUAR  Newbie

as to this:

>I wasn't being rude nor did I imply avidemux was perfect.

Well, in my neighbourhood calling people you never met "pups who need help" would not be considered
the height of polite behaviour.

> didn'twork for me either, but it was fixed with some Adult communication.

"Adult communication" ??..thats a bit rich from someone, who starts his reply with juvenile insults!

So may this "Pup" dare to suggest, you should perhaps re-evaluate your definition of adult behaviour!

zakk

Quote from: ro2124 on July 20, 2013, 08:30:45 PM
But not really surprised, seems that is standard fare these days anywhere on Internet, no matter what you post, some people instantly have to go into Troll mode, put words into peoples mouth and abuse.
Exactly. And since the first rule in forums are "don't feed the troll", I will just stop and wish you good luck in your future video processings!
PS: I'm sure you can find a good output quality by choosing the right codec configuration with any other software.

ro2124

@ Zakk

>Exactly. And since the first rule in forums are "don't feed the troll",

Yes that is always good advice , any reply usually results in further wise ass comments or insults..so I shall keep stumm :-)

>I will just stop and wish you good >luck in your future video processings!

yes OK.  thanks for that..and in fact I have not given up on avidemux quite yet, and I am about to use it right now in fact :-)
Sony Vegas is OK, but Oh so slow to render.....
have a nice weekend ....bye

zakk

AQUAR

Wow!.

@ ro2124 - three people have pointed out that information is needed before help can be provided.
What a shame you have choosen to ignore this aspect.
Instead you are quite willing to contribute taking issue with the way this aspect has been asked.
Ever heard the expression "don't bite the hand that feeds you"?
The responses asking for such information are coloured in reflection to your first post.
And, speaking for mine, are subsequently quoted out of context.
The bitch session that follows helps no-one other than perhaps feeding zakk's ego.

Such a pity, as this post might have been useful for other avidemux users that experience similar crashes.
But I do wish you well with you're future video editing.

IMHO, this thread would serve the avidemux community best by being deleted.