--

Main Menu

Avi Container wrong?

Started by recyclez, August 16, 2013, 07:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recyclez

I convert my files as h264/AAC
option 2 step VideoSize and audio 128 stereo remix

On my sony google tv the files give end time something as -519 Min.
i though it was my device doing it wrong, so i didnt care atm.
This prevent seeking through the movie.
Since r8860 my samsung phone does the same now. that i dont want.its my most used device to view.
so i look a bit closer now.
If i load the the wrong displayed file into virtualdub,set audio&video to direct stream and save the file it is a few bytes shorter then original.
They have both exact same number of frames, onlyy now the end time is displayed correct and i can seek.
does the avi container put more info at end of file? or are frames numbers messed up? it looks as if new file is 1 frame shorter, but still has same frame amount as original?

zakk

thany

To clarify zakk: H264 and AAC are two codecs that don't fit in an AVI file. There's something about AVI (mostly it being very old) that it's a little bit restricted on codecs. Unfortunately, avidemux doesn't seem to warn about this problem.

AQUAR

People do putt video compressed with h.264/avc and audio compressed with aac into an AVI containers.
It just requires the B frame hack "packed bitstream"  to get around the one frame in one frame out limitation of AVI.
Even that limitation is not much of a problem for playback but more about being able to edit/seek the video.
If h.264/avc also uses vfr then MP4 or MKV are the better containers.   
Thats my understanding.