News:

--

Main Menu

Cause of very poor time resolution?

Started by charcinders, September 10, 2013, 02:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charcinders

I'm using Avidemux to cut some short (10 seconds) clips from some HD videos recorded in MTS format. Raw video is 59.94fps.

When positioning the A and B markers I noticed that the time resolution, i.e. the difference between where you want the marker and where it actually goes, is in multiples of 1 second (or close, I guess 60 frames). I can work with that and it helps that my output clips need to be 10 seconds long.
I have one file that I can't load into Avidemux, it may have gotten corrupted somewhere between the camera and the file transfer process. Anyway, I can open it in Handbrake, and from there I can save it in a different format. Avidemux can then open it. However, whatever format I save in (H264, MP4, MKV), whatever quality I select, and whatever frame rate I use, the time marker in Avidemux can only be set to a multiple of 10 seconds. That's useless. Why is it doing this? Is this a property of the file I'm creating or a peculiarity of Avidemux? Is there a way around it?

mean

mean

If file has keyframe every 10 sec, that's normal

charcinders

OK, I just found that using the left and right arrows I can set the marker much more accurately. I checked to see if whether it saves a clip of the correct length when I set the A and b points by doing that, and yes it does.

The question then is why you can't use the Time button or the slider to set the time to a non-key frame?

mean

because it can take a long time to get there
Try shift/alt/control + arrow keys