Avidemux 64bit and 32bit crash loading some .mkv files

Started by nortok00, February 04, 2014, 03:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nortok00

Hi all,

I just wanted to say I love this application! Kudos to the developers. :-D

Apologies if this question has been asked. I tried looking through the forum and couldn't find anything. I just recently installed the 64bit version 2.6.7 on Win 8.1 to convert some .mkv files to mp4. All the files are from the same source. Everything was going fine until I got to about the fifth video. When it tried to load the file it crashed and Avidemux shut down. This happened again with the sixth file but was fine for the remainder of the files. I thought maybe it was a 64bit issue so I installed the 32bit version (2.6.1) but the same thing happened. Given it happened with both versions I wasn't sure if maybe there was something wrong with these video files such that they couldn't be opened. I was however able to convert them using another program so the files must be fine in general I would think.

I had more .mkv files from other sources I needed to convert and the same crash happened periodically.

On another note, how do I save the crash file? I can't seem to copy it and there is no save option in the window that pops up for the crash file (yet the message says to save it or it will be deleted). I also couldn't find any error or crash log in the Avidemux directory so I was only able to do a screen capture.

In all cases here is the error (copied from my screen capture):

TinyPy:Exception

Exception :(_tp_dict_get) KeyError: nud
BackTrack:
File:py2bc.py, line 51
File:py2bc.py, line 10
File:parse.py, line 424
File:parse.py, line 414
File:parse.py, line 199
File:parse.py, line 80
File:parse.py, line 63

Thanks.

Karen

xpmule

I just came here to report the same error and i verified it by loading the crash file and i got the same exact message..
BUT.. i know what is causing it and have worked around it before. But i will back up a bit..

I download TV shows from various places online and i have a nice PC with a screen at 1080p and i use LAV for all decoding on WIN 7 x64
i use WMC with media foundation disabled mostly. Anyway i occasionally do a little video re-encoding over the years with Avidemux.
It's not always perfect but i like it a lot and it's my go to program for video encoding stuff :)

I always use the "bleeding edge" newest builds and just roll the dice on them and hope they work ok lol
Which they usually work fine for me.. but windows x64 build v2.6.7 r9043 i found at the nightly ftp site i visit first any time i go to do encoding
is what was giving me this error the other guy girl mentioned (and maybe some builds before it too i am pretty sure)
Anyway i noticed a while back the problem was related to extra data in the Matroska / MKV videos i have been getting..
An awful lot of videos are being shared online with embedded Text data.
And THAT is what is causing the crashing !
Pretty much any i load with it crashes and any with out loads up fine and then if i use MKVToolnix to "mux out" the text data the video will now load in Avidemux.
Try it and you will see what i mean guys (and gals)

I'd say this is a pretty major bug considering how many videos have this formatting and how many people out there are trading them etc

Hopefully our comments here raise some awareness of this issue with devs.

And Thanks again for the program too :)

edit:
The site i always get my builds from is this one.. http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/

AQUAR

I also use avidemux v2.6.x with MKV files, but don't experience these crashes due to the container holding various types of subtitle streams (text).

Whenever I get these behavioural type crashes, I reset the avidemux default startup settings by deleting its settings configuration files.
Avidemux re-creates these files on the next startup.

Maybe try that, especially since you are using 'nightlies'.
Windows users can find this stuff in this folder C:\Users\xyz-user\AppData\Roaming\avidemux

xpmule

i am using the same 2.6.7 build 9043 i mentioned earlier..
but i tried that anyway by renaming the folder otherwise i'd lose all my custom encoder profiles.
i have painstakingly recreated most of the scene groups encoder settings :)

anyway, it made no change i got the same exact error again as OP mentioned.
and it happens when i drag and drop an mkv video with text data embedded (as seen in mediainfo) into the Windows Avidemux GUI..
it crashes instantly as soon as it starts reading the file long before any options can be set on it (by the user)

for an example i used a TV show i downloaded, Brickleberry - S02E02 - The Comeback (WEB-DL) (720p).mkv (iToonz group release)

it says this for the text data on MediaInfo

Text
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : UTF-8
Codec ID                                 : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info                            : UTF-8 Plain Text
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

i have a LOT of videos and so far any i try with out that text stream work and any with don't.
i don't know much more i think and i hope the info is helpful.. at least any other people will see they are not alone ;)
i just dropped my re-encoding plans for some other time.. it wasn't anything urgent.

edit:
I just run it twice and used a program to compare logs..
here is the relevant part i think worth seeing from the bad log.

*** TRACK SUMMARY **
trackNo :1
trackType :1
==>Video
extraDataLen :93
fcc :826496577
AVC1
w :1280
h :718
fps :0
[MKV]not handled MKV_TRACK_UID
*** TRACK SUMMARY **
trackNo :2
==>Audio
extraDataLen :0
fcc :8192
fq :48000
chan :6
bpp :0
[analyzeOneTrack] This track has 0 bytes of  extradata
[MKV]not handled MKV_FLAG_LACING
[MKV] Warning type <S_TEXT/UTF8> unkown!!
*** TRACK SUMMARY **
trackNo :3
Unkown track type (17)
[MKV] Tracks analyzed
[MKV] Indexing clusters
[indexClusters] FileSize = 454899416, pos=52 size=454899359,pos+size=454899411
[indexClusters] Segment is way too small, trying to guess the right value
Saving crash file to C:\Users\AvidemuxCrasher\AppData\Roaming\avidemux\crash.py

*********** BACKTRACE **************

mean

2 problems :
1- The SEI extraction code is crashing, dont really know why but it is fixed
2- The height is 718 i.e. 359x2 which is uncommon (and not really ideal). Fixing it...

AQUAR

@ xpmule

Maybe if you use the latest windows installer version it will not crash.
The installer version is build from a later revision than those currently found in the nightlies (not normally the case!).

That said, avidemux_r9034_win32 didn't crash for me, when loading an MKV with AVC, several audio tracks, and these subtitle tracks, 

Text #1
ID : 3
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Language : English

Text #2
ID : 4
Format : VobSub
Codec ID : S_VOBSUB
Codec ID/Info : The same subtitle format used on DVDs
Title : คำบรรยายภาษาไà¸â€"ย www.SeeingMole.com
Language : Thai

Admlog file shows the same warnings about these subtitle tracks.
But goes on without problem when indexing the clusters (ie not crashing during SEI extraction!).

Anyway, it looks like Mean is attending to this issue - see rev 950.

mean

xpmule

great job mean and thanks for trying to help AQUAR ;)

you have to date put a lot of time and effort into this program and i appreciate it :)

and yeah i noticed the 718 too and when i re-encode i have been changing them all to 1280 x 720 instead of 1280x718 when i see that.
if they are already 1280 by 720 i leave it alone and copy and just re-encode the audio 2 channels instead of 5.1.
although i for many years in all video and graphics and picture programs i Always use Bicubic rather than the popular (usual default) Lanzcos
i feel it makes resizing sharper vs smoother for my own preferences.

i have a brand new nice Harmon Kardon amp i use with my PC that supports surround sound modes and my PC is new etc
but i actually just use Analog Audio in Stereo and use a special mode on my amp called 5 channel stereo (rather than digital audio outputs)
and the only reason i do this at all is simply because any audio normalization features i have tried sucked, Except the Realtek mobo chipset audio applets
driver level audio normalization.. it seems to work so much better than anything i have tried so far that i have stayed with analog 2 channel audio lol
and normalization is on the driver applet fro digital ouputs too but it performs poorly compared i think..
and i download a diverse amount of video to use with Windows Media Center so the audio levels can vary drastically and that can get pretty irritating :(
so.. i mentioned this long winded speel to explain what i was doing..
Using Avidemux to occasionally re-encode videos, mostly just the audio from 5.1 to 2 channel stereo.

I said here before i found this years ago on linux first i think actually and it's comforting to know it's on multiple platforms
and i don't get the chance to want AND prefer a Linux sort of program on my Windows machines too much lol
Usually it's the other way around haha

edit:
Build 9050 i got from the nightly FTP link seems to work good now, no crashing :)

xpmule

strange.. the problem has popped again on this new build.
i tried a file i found online and the exact same thing happened with the same exact crash message (didn't look at log)
i got the file called, American.Dad.S09E16.She.Swill.Survive.720p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H.264-iTOONZ

SO yeah i thought it was totally fixed but nope and this one was already 1280x720 but the rest of the specs are the same..
i can post more info if needed let me if MediaInfo report or a sample or something is needed..

uhhmm so what i did again is i just used MKVToolNix to mux out the Sub text stream and then Avidemux loaded up the video just fine.

AQUAR

Look at the log and see if it crashes when indexing clusters (as before).

xpmule

exact same as before..

[MKV] *** Header dump ***
EBML_VERSION:1
EBML_COMPAT:1
EBML_MAXIDLEN:4
EBML_MAXSIZELEN:8
EBML_DOCTYPE:<matroska>
EBML_DOCTYPE_VERSION:4
EBML_DOCTYPE_COMPAT:2
[MKV] *** End of Header dump ***
MKV_TIMECODE_SCALE:1000000
MKV_MUXING_APP skipped
MKV_WRITING_APP skipped
MKV_DURATION skipped
MKV_DATE_UTC skipped
MKV_SEGMENT_UID skipped
[open] TimeBase found : 1000000 ns
[MKV]not handled MKV_MIN_CACHE
[entryWalk] Display Width:1280
[entryWalk] Display Height:720
*** TRACK SUMMARY **
trackNo :1
trackType :1
==>Video
extraDataLen :92
fcc :826496577
AVC1
w :1280
h :720
fps :0
*** TRACK SUMMARY **
trackNo :2
==>Audio
extraDataLen :0
fcc :8192
fq :48000
chan :6
bpp :0
[analyzeOneTrack] This track has 0 bytes of  extradata
[MKV] Warning type <S_TEXT/UTF8> unkown!!
*** TRACK SUMMARY **
trackNo :3
Unkown track type (17)
[MKV] Tracks analyzed
[MKV] Indexing clusters
[indexClusters] FileSize = 416833148, pos=52 size=416833090,pos+size=416833142
[indexClusters] Segment is way too small, trying to guess the right value
Saving crash file to C:\Users\Satoshi_;)\AppData\Roaming\avidemux\crash.py

file is confirmed scene group release muxed with MKVToolnix 6.8.0
crash.py is 0 bytes

when i mux out the text stream like i did before it will load in Avidemux ok.
and MKVToolnix does not report any errors with the source file.

There is something going on with the embedded text stream which i *assume is some form of subtitles i never use.
I know my download is legit or it would have been scene nuked or at least one other person would have said something online.
This is an issue because a lot of videos are getting made using the same tools and procedure online for a long time now..
American.Dad.S09E16.She.Swill.Survive.720p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H.264-iTOONZ
is the exact file name to find it online and if anyone wants a sample or what ever let me know.

lastly i always get the zipped nightly build folder and over-write all files / folders over top of my old install for WIN x64.

SO like i said same crash window message comes up as stated by OP and i will work around the issue just a heads up for the dev :)
appreciate the program regardless of any bugs lol

AQUAR

Mean mentioned that the SEI extraction code is crashing on these AVC videos.
No idea why that relates to subtitles - but maybe there is some reference about them (or closed captioning) in these SEI tags that upsets avidemux.

mean

Does it crash right after loading the file or while you seek into it ?

xpmule

it crashes like ultra quick.. while dragging and dropping from a windows folder onto the QT GUI.
it will not get that far so i can even try seeking in anyway.

if there is something i can do to help let me know.. although i have never compiled the program before i have MingW and VS 2010 and can code c/c++
i'd prob be more useful providing a sample or log data etc i think though lol

it's weird because it seemed to be fixed.. i had that other video from a diff show that is the same spec wise and it works now
but when i tried with a diff show it crashes like before like on that older build and they have the same specs basically and
both were released online by the same group iTOONZ using the same tools etc for encoding i'm guessing.

for me i don't care i am happy if the program can just ignore that text data type stuff and leave it out on my re-encodes.

mean

I tried with the american dad stuff
Worked fine both 32 & 64 bits with r9050

Are you sure you are using that version ?