News:

--

Main Menu

Aspect ratio changes when using Copy.

Started by jweaver, April 10, 2014, 11:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jweaver

I have just ripped a couple of DVDs using VidCoder, one of which is spread across 2 disks.

I used the "append" feature (AVIDemux v2.6.7), and created a single file.. But when I view it in MPC, the aspect ratio is 4:3 (And stretched), where as the original files are 16:9.

So as a test, I simply opened the original file (MP4) and then saved it with Video/Audio set to copy as MP4.. So in theory nothing should change, but the output is still 4:3..

Am I missing an option or is this a bug??

Jon

Edit: I just tried again in 2.6.8 and its the same.. I also tried MKV as the output container and its the same..

Edit2: Looking at the "Information" screen inside AVIDemux as well as MediaInfo.. Both the input and output files show as 16x7 (1.777 ratio).. But for some reason in MPC the output file plays in a 4:3 window.. Where as the original is 16:9.. I can resize the window and get 16:9 ratio back.. But its very odd that its doing this.

AQUAR

It is an anamorphic DVD.
There are a few threads in this forum that discuss these types of video's.
Simply put: the 'stored pixels' are not intended for square pixel screens.

To display with the correct aspect on square pixel screens (eg PC monitor) you need resampling/scaling to allow for the pixel geometry 'mismatch'.
There are various options to achieve the proper result eg:
Media player does resampling on the fly using meta data for pixel aspect ratio,
Resample using avidemux so as to redefine the pixel geometry etc.

Have a look at the other threads and you will get the idea.
Most recently  http://avidemux.org/smuf/index.php/topic,16170.0.html

zakk

just remux to .mkv with the right display width ("congigure" button).