Avidemux 2.6.8 refuses to open very large and long videos (Solved)

Started by abc123, April 24, 2014, 09:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQUAR

@ Jan Gruuthuse
Even the stats on the lower resolution quicktime.mov file has a GOP of M=1 N=15, so its all h.264 with no B frames.
And audio with it is PCM.
Nothing that should pose a problem for avidemux I would think.

Mean will know if iFrame Apple video is supported.
I would think it would be, as its just all AVC compressed Iframes (easy editing!)
Maybe the weird frame size gives a hickup as you mentioned with hardware acceleration enabled.
Interesting!   

@abc123
Happy to try a sample on my windows based PC's.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quicktime should open, I never stated otherwise.
If the recording is made in iFrame that is a completely other ballgame! Quicktime ≠ iFrame.

abc123

Videos that are shorter than 10:00 mins or smaller than 1GB, works with Avidemux, so it should be a bug in the software.
Also, yesterday I tryed to open the video in Avidemux at Safe Mode, without a success and with the same error, meaning that a clean boot won't work as well.

AQUAR

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on April 28, 2014, 03:44:08 PM
Quicktime should open, I never stated otherwise.
If the recording is made in iFrame that is a completely other ballgame! Quicktime ≠ iFrame.

I agreed!
Only pointed out that mediainfo showed that there were no B frames in the problem media file.
As I understand it, iFrame is just AVC+AAC in a short GOP and at the native resolution of the image sensor.

Quote from: abc123 on April 29, 2014, 06:28:01 AM
Videos that are shorter than 10:00 mins or smaller than 1GB, works with Avidemux, so it should be a bug in the software.
Also, yesterday I tryed to open the video in Avidemux at Safe Mode, without a success and with the same error, meaning that a clean boot won't work as well.

Not quite the same.
Safe mode turns the OS into a skeleton OS without many microsoft services.
Clean boot is about turning off third party services and programs.

You have to try and troubleshoot by eliminating various possibilities.
That is why our responses are only suggestions and not solutions.

And, there may well be some incompatibility between windows Avidemux and these Canon Media Files.
In this regard, as already suggested before, remux the video and audio streams into another container like MKV.
Download MKVToolnix, use it to extract the streams and remux into MKV. 

abc123

Problem solved:

1. Downloaded Handbrake open source video converter.
2. Converted the video to from MOV to mkv.
3. Avidemux opens the converted video successfully.

The attachment contains the media details of the converted mkv video.

AQUAR

If this workaround is satisfactory then all is good (but its not solved!).

Just offering a comment:
Recoding is not the same as remuxing.
Handbrake is recoding the video - using an older codec, at a lower bitrate and generational loss = lower quality video.
Try earlier suggestion to remux with MKVtoolnix = keep audio and video untouched and put it into a new MKV container (file type!).

If the remux works then avidemux will be working on the original video/audio instead of a lower quality recoded copy. 
Remuxing is also super fast.

Jan Gruuthuse

If you want fix: you need to upload 11 - 12 minutes recorded video with Canon PowerShot SX150 IS. Otherwise developers can do nothing about your issue.