Processing + muxing of MPEG2 elementary video stream

Started by poutnik, January 08, 2015, 07:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poutnik

I was initially used to DVB-T USB stick vendor software -Leadtek WinfastPVR2. It offered recording MPG TS, but it recorded there all the channel for given frequency.
So it was space consuming and no easy to process, as I was than not aware about PX a ADM TS reading abilities.

So I got than false impresion TS contains all stations, and a particular statios is extracted and stored in other format, like MPEG2 PS.

Aside of than, I though it does not matter if TS is saved before or after TS decoding.

Mediainfo says MPEG TS/PS contain MPEG audio version 1 Layer 2 = MP2, as MP3 is MPEG audio version 1 Layer 3 ( AFAIK )
PX can directly extract MP2, but there was occational problem with long movies, for there was reported incorrect MP2 length.
I have never noticed ACS audio in my recordings.

Jan Gruuthuse

Some did made move already from MPEG-2 TS (Standard-Definition) Single Transport Stream to MPEG-4 TS (SD) Multiple Transport Stream and Generic Stream Encapsulation. You can put more channels in transmitter: dvb-t vs dvb-t2 / transponder dvb-s vs dvb-s2.
Users: don't confuse MPEG2 and MPEG4 (video encoding) with MPEG-2 TS and MPEG-4 TS (transport stream). Now did confuse myself, to early in the morning ... :-[
This is what I've should have written:
dvb-t = Single Transport Stream (TS)
dvb-t2 = Multiple Transport Stream and Generic Stream Encapsulation (GSE)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T2#System_differences_with_DVB-T

poutnik

Providers in Czech republic still keep MPEG2 TS/ MPEG2 encoding for SD.
It is news to me there is MPEG-4 TS, I have thought MPEG 2/MPEG 4 specs share the TS format for both.

But
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4#MPEG-4_Parts
Part 1  - ISO/IEC 14496-1

Describes synchronization and multiplexing of video and audio. For example the MPEG-4 file format version 1 (obsoleted by version 2 defined in MPEG-4 Part 14). The functionality of a transport protocol stack for transmitting and/or storing content complying with ISO/IEC 14496 is not within the scope of 14496-1 and only the interface to this layer is considered (DMIF). Information about transport of MPEG-4 content is defined e.g. in MPEG-2 Transport Stream, RTP Audio Video Profiles and others.[6][7][8][9][10]

Jan Gruuthuse

I updated previous message to reflect what I intended to post.

zakk

I've done lots of demuxing/muxing with mpeg-2+mp2/ac3 in .ts containers, And it has ALWAYS worked using ProjectX (demuxing+commercials cutting) + Avidemux 2.5.

Jan Gruuthuse

And? Is anyone saying otherwise? Your choice, feel free to do so.

poutnik

ProjectX is sometimes is needed even for ADM and MPEG2 TS - verified.  My recordings suffer from occasional bursts of errors. I guess it may be from interfering electrical noise from nearby non compliant devices.  At such a burst point, ADM processing of MPEG2 TS ( MPEG 2 SD video )  sometimes fails to continue.

There is said in Projectx documentation that maximum of ProjectX fixing abilities are used in demux mode. If remuxing modes are used, fixing is weaker and some A/V out of sync may remain. So I used in past MPG demuxing mode of ProxectX for MeGUI processing.

While experiencing with TS these days, PX TStoTS fixing for ADM or MeGUI processing seems sufficient for me until now. ( unless Murphy's law says otherwise, hearing it ).

In past, I used MPG ProjectX demuxing to M2V and MP2(MPA). But, it occasionally suffered with MPA decoder issues for long common recoding of 2 adjacent movies.  So I then switched to demuxing to M2V + WAV, that was without problems.

This is the answer to one question above why M2V + WAV demuxing.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: poutnik on January 14, 2015, 06:54:04 AM
>8>8 DVB-T USB stick >8 >8
Small trick I use with USB modem: I use a short
Quote1 meter (3 feet) USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Shielded Extension Cable
to move usb dongle away from laptop and higher to improve reception of Mobile Internet.
This should work similar for DVB-T reception and if the dongle has signal strength meter, you could use it to find the best position for reception. Keep in mind, DVB-T has horizontal or vertical transmitter, 1/4 turn along axis of usb dongle could improve your receiving signal.

poutnik

I see, it is useful for local reception, indeed.
But I use centrally provided signal via coaxial cable from common receivers/amplifiers in block of flat.

Jan Gruuthuse

If you know friend, knowledgeable in electronics, access to suitable oscilloscope, to check that signal and see if signal is clean enough? Was already in place for analogue TV reception? Could explain drops/errors in content. I've tried dvb-t here with digital dvb-t amplified antenna on roof. It was not workable: fluctuating signal strength and reception breakups. No joy viewing that. Now I have sat dishes (28.2Ã,°E, 23.5Ã,°E, 19.2Ã,°E, 16Ã,°E, 13Ã,°, 9Ã,°E and 4Ã,°E)  and only loose signal with heavy thunderstorms. At that moment the cable distribution network has the same issues.

poutnik

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on January 16, 2015, 09:29:28 PM
If you know friend, knowledgeable in electronics, access to suitable oscilloscope, to check that signal and see if signal is clean enough? Was already in place for analogue TV reception? Could explain drops/errors in content. I've tried dvb-t here with digital dvb-t amplified antenna on roof. It was not workable: fluctuating signal strength and reception breakups. No joy viewing that. Now I have sat dishes (28.2Ã,°E, 23.5Ã,°E, 19.2Ã,°E, 16Ã,°E, 13Ã,°, 9Ã,°E and 4Ã,°E)  and only loose signal with heavy thunderstorms. At that moment the cable distribution network has the same issues.

No, I do not not have any I know about. But even with osciloscope, I am not sure if he would recognize proper and unproper signal, unless he worked in TV broadcasting.
But as I have said, the  error patterns are rather like occasional bursts than random occurence.

zakk

I use a TV software that gives me the signal's strength, very useful. Even in the center of a big city, everytime a start a recording I have to move the antenna to get the maximum quality, otherwise I can get an Avidemux crash while indexing. Try Pouchin TV.

poutnik

According to DVB-T original SW Leadtek WinfastPVR2 and SmartDVB ( which I like much more),  signal level is OK. And it should be, as antennas are on high roof of 8 floor building with direct visibility to 3 km distant transmitter, provided with antenna amplifiers.

Anyway, whatever reason for these bursts is,  it does not change the fact ADM has space for improvement in error recovery of input data from unreliable sources like DVB-T. Not everybody process perfect DVD/BR data from bought media, what ADM 2.5 may have supposed :-P.

Where ADM chokes, PX just "fixes film tape in place it got jammed in movie projector".  So, fixing is possible.

Such ADM ability would be useful especially for H264 records where ProjectX AFAIK is not applicable.
There is paid trialware Window alternative  for TS H264 dixing   TS-doctor ( I have not tried it. )

QuoteMany modern satellite and cable receivers offer the ability to record television and radio programs by a so called PVR function. Such recordings are stored usually in the transport stream format (ts) or in a kindred format.

Unfortunately, such recordings often contain errors or incompatibilities that lead to incompatible recordings that can't be played back on other devices without problems.
Here, the TS-Doctor can help more than any other tool, for both SDTV and HDTV recordings. It verifies the recordings for errors, adapts the format to eliminate compatibility issues and cleaned up the recordings without changing the actual video and audio data.
In the end you will get a compatible transport stream (ts), that can be played easily on the computers or hardware media players such as popcornhour a100/110/c200, wdtv, xtream and many other similar devices.

zakk

Yes if you can use it, Smart Cutter and TS muxer can also help.

Jan Gruuthuse

There is a limit to missing flawed dvb stream information you can recover/fix. If the signal breaks up that is it. Mostly when the green blocks appear the content is to far gone.