News:

--

Main Menu

Remove idx2 index files?

Started by J-Wo, January 26, 2015, 06:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Wo

Is there a setting to automatically delete the idx2 index files?  Or at least have them created in the %temp% folder so they don't clutter up my video folders?

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: J-Wo on January 26, 2015, 06:07:12 AM
Is there a setting to automatically delete the idx2 index files?
No, there is not such a setting.
QuoteOr at least have them created in the %temp% folder so they don't clutter up my video folders?
Bad idea: the .idx2 are required together with the video file as long as you process/edit the video.
When finished editing and before starting a new edit session: Open file manager: sort by extention or search for .idx2 files and delete these.
If you erase .idx2 files accidentally, the concerned video requires re-indexing.

Tip: if you update avidemux 2.6.8 to a newer release, it is not a bad idea to delete al existing .idx2. Indexing algorithm could be changed Better safe then sorry ;)

poutnik

If one uses ADM for some batch video processing, the processing batch can be modified to deleted IDX file after processing.
If one uses just manual processing, it is not big deal to delete index files together with original videa in cases if original video is not kept.

Personally, I often temporarily keep ADM index files, or similar ProjectX or MeGUI various small temporary files to be a flag file hint for processing documentary series. My favourite local documentary channel often broadcasts several repetitions of serie episodes, with large time overlaps.  If I record, watch  and delete all files for particular episodes, I easily loose tracking of what I have already recorded/seen,   and what I have not yet. As EPG is often laconic what is particular episode about.