been using avidemux for years and its worked fine... recently it freezes

Started by ironchar, December 28, 2015, 07:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironchar

on every video I save- it cannot convert anymore

Windows 7 using 2.5.6

not sure why its acting like this... recently I've obtained an old cowon d2 again so I use avidemux to convert.... it converted these beast war files fine before....

now it just ceases to even work... it'll freeze right after saving and thats it.

what happened!? it worked so well for so long? I have no idea what to do- the files are even that big of a deal- just standard converting down to 320x240 and it ceases to work

tryed install uninstall 2.6 32 bit reboot everything.... nothing going

where does the problem lie?

Jan Gruuthuse

You are leaving us in the dark?
- What video container are you saving to? (avi, mp4, ts, mkv, ...)
- What is the used video format (flv,h264, mpeg2, mpeg4, ...)
- Multiple audio tracks?
- Audio Track Format (aac,ac3, mp3)
- recording on (STB, videocam, photocam, ...)
- all from the same source?

- did you change codec(s) on windows 7

ddn2003

I'm having the same problem with Avidemux 2.6.11beta1. It starts off with the QT4 encoding interface working fine and all of a sudden the encoding window freezes. It appears that it is still converting, but the encoding window has frozen. I believe it is still encoding, because when I finally decide to abort the filesize is greater than the  total size shown on the advanced tab of the encoding window. I'm in the middle of a test, letting it go until it either finishes or it's been so long it should have finished already. I will update this thread after the test is finished.

Here is some video of Avidemux frozen. You can see nothing on either tab is moving.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16879913/Avidemux.mov

- What video container are you saving to? MP4v2 Muxer
- What is the used video format? Mpeg4 AVC (x264)
- Multiple audio tracks? Single audio track
- Audio Track Format? AAC (lav)
- Recording on? VOB file ripped from a DVD
- All from the same source? All from actual DVDs I own

ddn2003

Quote from: ddn2003 on January 01, 2016, 11:57:25 PM
I'm having the same problem with Avidemux 2.6.11beta1. It starts off with the QT4 encoding interface working fine and all of a sudden the encoding window freezes. It appears that it is still converting, but the encoding window has frozen. I believe it is still encoding, because when I finally decide to abort the filesize is greater than the  total size shown on the advanced tab of the encoding window. I'm in the middle of a test, letting it go until it either finishes or it's been so long it should have finished already. I will update this thread after the test is finished.

Here is some video of Avidemux frozen. You can see nothing on either tab is moving.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16879913/Avidemux.mov

- What video container are you saving to? MP4v2 Muxer
- What is the used video format? Mpeg4 AVC (x264)
- Multiple audio tracks? Single audio track
- Audio Track Format? AAC (lav)
- Recording on? VOB file ripped from a DVD
- All from the same source? All from actual DVDs I own

The results of my test were that Avidemux continues to encode and eventually does finish, despite the window freezing.

Jan Gruuthuse

re-encoding video does require processing power, a lot depends on the used hardware. Try stopping all none essential programs running.

ddn2003

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on January 02, 2016, 05:19:22 AM
re-encoding video does require processing power, a lot depends on the used hardware. Try stopping all none essential programs running.

I have an older PC, so Avidemux always is using high CPU power.

Jan Gruuthuse

Take good care of heat management inside you computer box. (dust, cobwebs, ...)
Carefully vacuum box, clean air ducts (dried air pressure), ventilator(s), ...
Re-encoding long HD videos could produce excessive heat (cpu, gpu, ...)

mean

Looks like a refresh issue
Normally the UI tries to update once per second