News:

--

Main Menu

Audio but no video

Started by Ashjuk, January 21, 2016, 08:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashjuk

Hi,

I am a newbie to Avidemux and have a slight problem with a task I am trying to do.

I have a number of mkv files that have three audio streams - two Russian and one English. If I play these on my PC using VLC there is no problem as I can select which track to listen to but when I try to watch them on my TV streamed from my NAS it will only see the first track which is Russian.

I Googled and discovered Avidemux. I loaded the first file and from the toolbar I selected the track that I wanted to retain i.e. track three English.

I then saved the file with the settings as shown - Video Output = Copy Audio Output (1 Track(s) = Copy.

It saved as an avi file in less than 10 minutes and the result was approximately the same size as the original mkv file but when I play the file I get the audio in English but no video.

I tried selecting a different video output of mpeg2 (ff) and it telling me it will take over 10 hours to encode! I let it run for a while and the result was the same audio but no video.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Jan Gruuthuse

Keep the MKV container, don't switch to AVI (is dated container format)
- Load original mkv
- Video Output: [Copy]
- Audio Output: [Copy]
- Output Format: [MKV Muxer]
- Select as previously the audio track you want to keep.
- save video

Ashjuk

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on January 21, 2016, 08:49:36 AM
Keep the MKV container, don't switch to AVI (is dated container format)
- Load original mkv
- Video Output: [Copy]
- Audio Output: [Copy]
- Output Format: [MKV Muxer]
- Select as previously the audio track you want to keep.
- save video
Thanks Jan,

I must admit I missed the MKV Muxer option, I will give it a try.

Ashley

Update: Thanks again Jan. It worked a treat - English audio and video playing perfectly on my TV!

Jan Gruuthuse