News:

--

Main Menu

Sound In Only One Speaker

Started by jdavidemux, March 12, 2016, 03:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdavidemux

Hey all.

I have an mp4 video that has sound only in the left speaker and was wondering if there is a way to change the video so that there is sound from both speakers?

I have currently have 64bit Avidemux 2.6.7 (not sure how to update the program)

Appreciate any help.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: jdavidemux on March 12, 2016, 03:19:19 AM
I have an mp4 video that has sound only in the left speaker and was wondering if there is a way to change the video so that there is sound from both speakers?
Try audio filter.
in audio Output
- select AAC (lav) instead of Copy
- Filters: Audio filters: Mixer
[v] Remix
Mixer: Stereo

If that fails: use external program like audacity to create stereo track from mono track.

QuoteI have currently have 64bit Avidemux 2.6.7 (not sure how to update the program)

You did not state your OS? You can update Avidemux to 2.6.11 with an installer from here: http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/

Only OSx or Windows. Ubuntu 14.04.4 you would find for 64-bit only: avidemux Cli/Qt 2.6.12 64-bit deb download ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS

jdavidemux

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on March 12, 2016, 06:05:44 AM
Quote from: jdavidemux on March 12, 2016, 03:19:19 AM
Try audio filter.
in audio Output
- select AAC (lav) instead of Copy
- Filters: Audio filters: Mixer
[v] Remix
Mixer: Stereo

If that fails: use external program like audacity to create stereo track from mono track.

QuoteI have currently have 64bit Avidemux 2.6.7 (not sure how to update the program)

You did not state your OS? You can update Avidemux to 2.6.11 with an installer from here: http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/

Only OSx or Windows. Ubuntu 14.04.4 you would find for 64-bit only: avidemux Cli/Qt 2.6.12 64-bit deb download ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS

Thanks for the info Jan.

I didn't have any luck with this method however I will try the Audacity program and see how that goes.

Also, if it helps, I have OS Windows Vista 64.

AQUAR

I can confirm that audio remixing from mono to stereo does not always happen.
Maybe the settings in The GUI aren't always acknowledged as when I cycled them the remix took place.

jdavidemux

Quote from: AQUAR on March 13, 2016, 06:55:14 AM
I can confirm that audio remixing from mono to stereo does not always happen.
Maybe the settings in The GUI aren't always acknowledged as when I cycled them the remix took place.

Thanks for the reply AQUAR.

Wondering, what does it mean "cycled them" in the above context?

Jan Gruuthuse

Try Menu -> Edit -> Preferences ->
[Audio]
Local playback downmixing: Stereo

or test other AudioDevice [xxxxxx]
Perhaps it is a playback issue? AC3 track going to different speaker as intended?

AQUAR

@ Jan
The original single audio channel is not remixed to two audio channels during the audio recode.

@ jdavidemux
By cycling I mean't tick  the remix option and select the stereo mixer.
If it doesn't work, go back into the filer and select another mixer option eg stereo+centre.
Try again and usually it takes note of the new setting.
Change the setting back to select the stereo mixer (if you don't want 3 channels!).
And usually it now performs as per the settings.
Do try the fiddle on a small section of the video (cut edit the first minute or so) in order to test quickly.
Once it works as required, delete the edits and go do your thing.

I don't know why these filter setting are sometimes not applied. 

jdavidemux

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on March 14, 2016, 05:58:59 AM
Try Menu -> Edit -> Preferences ->
[Audio]
Local playback downmixing: Stereo

or test other AudioDevice [xxxxxx]
Perhaps it is a playback issue? AC3 track going to different speaker as intended?

Quote from: AQUAR on March 14, 2016, 06:32:39 AM
@ Jan
The original single audio channel is not remixed to two audio channels during the audio recode.

@ jdavidemux
By cycling I mean't tick  the remix option and select the stereo mixer.
If it doesn't work, go back into the filer and select another mixer option eg stereo+centre.
Try again and usually it takes note of the new setting.
Change the setting back to select the stereo mixer (if you don't want 3 channels!).
And usually it now performs as per the settings.
Do try the fiddle on a small section of the video (cut edit the first minute or so) in order to test quickly.
Once it works as required, delete the edits and go do your thing.

I don't know why these filter setting are sometimes not applied.

Thanks again for the infos Jan and AQUAR.

Not having any luck converting this video from mono to stereo or mono to dual-mono.

It might just be the video as it only happens with this video and also during regular playback.

Jan Gruuthuse

As this relate to specific video, you could upload a 10 seconds duration / 50 to 100 MB in size of this kind of video possing this problem to a (free) webservice.
Time permitting developer(s)/user(s) could have a look at this issue.
ps:- Use a free dropbox account, mega or similar webservice (free public access, without registration to download your uploaded video) thank you.

xpmule

I ran into a problem file like this long ago..
I think i simply ended up Setting Remix to Mono with Avidemux.

Why you guys are saying set remix to stereo baffles me.
Chances are his video is screwed up and has either the left or right channel audio missing.
I have seen this happen before..
When i tested i found that one of the channels either the left or right was actually blank.
It was actually there listed in MediaInfo etc but when i extracted each channel desperately with Wave files
then analyzed them i could see the spectrum was dead on one channel and when i hex edited the file i could nothing but 0's

What i ended up doing is forcing mono.. because i had no choice the other channel was GONE !
How to handle that is up to you and what works etc.
I think you could even extract the working channel then copy it over to the right side manually then rebuild it back into Mono/Stereo.

I would be finding out what exactly is wrong with the file in the first place before doing anything though..

Once a channel is gone you will never have Stereo again.. Stereo means stereo LOL

AQUAR

By choosing "remix stereo" no-one has said that you get two distinct audio channels that will provide audio spatiality.
But you will get 2 channels of audio so that you get sound from 2 speakers.

That's what the OP was after.
Whether or not you get stereo depends on what is being fed to the filter.

You are confused with our intent to help the OP.

jdavidemux

Yep, AQUAR is correct. Just trying to get a video to play audio from both speakers.

I'm currently in the process of trying something with the player I'm using. Will return and post results.

jdavidemux

In the media player I'm currently using(PotPlayer formaly known as KMPlayer), I found a option called "Swap Stereo Channel" which when clicked(for this video) switches the sound from the left speaker to the right speaker.

What I'm wondering is, is it possible(with Avidemux) to record the audio from the left speaker, switch the sound to the other speaker(with PotPlayer), record the audio from that speaker, and then somehow combine the two tracks into one track and then add the final combined audio track to the video?

Jan Gruuthuse

You did not provide us with video sample with this audio issue?
I prepared a mono track video, can you test this and let us know how it went?
Mono audio speaker test YouTube @ top right hand corner click download.

AQUAR

@ Jan

That's what I did to check the filter function.
Will be interesting to see if the OP has more luck with monotest.mkv.

I still think the OP should select the 3 channel mixer option and see if it produced a result.
Also the OP needs to select an audio recode option (in case its left at copy!).

It does work if you try.