News:

--

Main Menu

-3db normalization "bug"?

Started by RoadRanger, June 14, 2016, 07:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadRanger

The -3db audio normalization option seems to read the whole file and not just the section you are trying to save :( . I have an 11 hour video I'm trying to split up and you can imagine how slooooow that is for each save - plus the quieter sections aren't being properly boosted. Obviously I can just cut it up first using "copy" and then load each section again to process it but I'm just wondering is this can be "fixed" :) .

Jan Gruuthuse

Use full-fledged audio editor like audacity (windows requires audacity FFmpeg import/export library, found on Optional Downloads). It has plenty audio filters.

RoadRanger

I'm actually using the dynaudnorm filter in FFMPEG instead of the -3db normalization in Avidemux now - but am still curious if the behavior I see is a bug in Avidemux or "normal"?

You sure like to steer people away from Avidemux LOL. I'm trying to do as much in it as possible as I (mostly) love the interface :) .

Jan Gruuthuse

Not steering anyone away:
QuoteAvidemux is a simple tool for simple video processing tasks. The keyword here is simple: it does not offer tools like a timeline, multitrack editing, you cannot freely move or splice audio and video clips from various sources. However, Avidemux allows you to do elementary things in a very straightforward way.
source: Avidemux Quickstart
QuoteAudacity is a free open source digital audio editor and recording computer software application, available for Windows, OS X, Linux and other operating systems.
source: Audacity (audio editor)

mean

It's a sort of bug
The audio duration is not really taken into account when doing the 1st pass, so it could take everything till the end