No sound during playback of any video file using latest version of Avidemux

Started by Accomac, November 22, 2016, 12:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Accomac

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, my search only found one instance and that was for Linux and an old version at that.

I installed version 2.6.15xxxx on my Win 7 machine after removing the earlier version. The install file I got had a matching checksum and installed fine. But once I loaded a video file (mp4) I got no audio output at all. Fooling with the settings on the left side of the main screen did nothing. So I removed it and re-installed to no avail. All the folders for the program appear to have files in them including a boatload of .lib files.

Maybe mine is the exception and not the rule but I wanted you to know. But ANY video file regardless of type HAS audio when played in another 'multi file' player.

NB: My Norton security kept refusing to allow me to keep the install file saying it was a 'virus' of some sort. Closer examination of that report shows that Norton didn't like the file because a certain number of people had NOT downloaded it! So if you get complaints about the file being infected, and the complainer is using Norton, that most likely is the reason. It's not the file it's the lack of usage by Norton users!

Cheers and thanks,

Accomac

eumagga0x2a

It looks like the new release 2.6.15 (I assume you have installed 2.6.15, not "2.5.16") defaults to "dummy" audio output upon resetting the config: http://avidemux.org/smif/index.php/topic,17289.0.html (the config gets resetted because some new preference settings habe been added and some old removed; I think this behaviour could be better).

Accomac

eumagga0x2a,

A typo on my part yes it was version 2.6.15xxx I will look at the link you referenced. Right now the program isn't on my drive at all.

thanks again..Accomac

mm0359

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on November 22, 2016, 05:12:14 AM
the new release 2.6.15 [...] defaults to "dummy" audio output upon resetting the config

(win32)
When I first used Avidemux (v2.6.x), I was caught by this "unexpected" setting too.
It has been like that since at least v2.6.8.
Yet I don't know why 'dummy' is a better default than 'win32'...

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on November 22, 2016, 05:12:14 AM
It looks like the new release 2.6.15 [...] defaults to "dummy" audio output upon resetting the config [...].

The fun is that it doesn't. My own 32bit Avidemux 2.6.15 builds for Windows, built on Debian 8 in an MXE/mingw environment, default to win32 as it is coded at avidemux/common/main.cpp:413.

Accomac, did you experience the problem with the 32 bit or with the 64 bit build?

mm0359

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: mm0359 on November 23, 2016, 01:01:05 PM
Could you test and compare with the official v2.6.15?

No need to do that. If there is no config3 file in %appdata%\avidemux at all, everything is fine. But if the file exists and contains an option Avidemux doesn't understand (e.g. if the struct holding the options was modified between two releases), all the user settings get reset, and in this case the code in avidemux/main.cpp:414 has no effect and we get the very first audio device selected, which is "dummy"!

Once the settings have been recreated with "dummy" as audio device, they are permanent unless the user opens the preferences and selects another audio device.

This is not restricted to Windows, happens on Linux as well.

eumagga0x2a

eumagga0x2a

Thanks! However, this won't help those who already got their audio device automatically set to "dummy".

The preference loading logic should handle unknown or wrong entries more gracefully, IMHO, resetting user settings just because the number of parameters does not match the current size of the struct like in ADM_paramValidate and in ADM_paramValidatePartialList is a bit harsh. Is there a deeper reason why it is this way? Security concerns, maybe?

schach

I've got a similar problem (maybe the same reason?)
Have a look at the 2 following short video files including Audio tracks:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-12132433/5sek40mbit.mpg.html
http://www.file-upload.net/download-12132436/5sek50mbit.mpg.html

Both are identical MPEG-2 videos, just the Videobitrate differs: 40 Mbit/s and 50 Mbit/s.
When opening the 40 Mbit/s-Video, the Audio track is opened as well. But when openening the 50 Mbit/s-Video, the Audio track is not opened.

Why not, what's the problem?
For example with VLC-Player both Videos can be played without troubles including soundtack.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: schach on November 30, 2016, 09:16:46 AM
I've got a similar problem (maybe the same reason?) [...]

Both are identical MPEG-2 videos, just the Videobitrate differs: 40 Mbit/s and 50 Mbit/s.
When opening the 40 Mbit/s-Video, the Audio track is opened as well. But when openening the 50 Mbit/s-Video, the Audio track is not opened.

No, this has nothing to do with the topic which was about Avidemux defaulting to the dummy audio output if the config3 file was present but the content rejected by Avidemux. You should have opened a new topic.