Possible regression: "missing" audio track after copy-only edit of ts -> ts

Started by muxterious, December 11, 2016, 12:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muxterious

I previously used 2.6.12 to edit many TV recordings.  Now, after upgrading to 2.6.15, the same exact procedure results in .ts files that both my TV and avidemux3, itself, think are lacking audio.  However, when I play them with mplayer, the audio seems to be there.  I compiled (and run) both releases on the same Ubuntu 16.04 machine.

I also tried gstreamer's decodebin, which can see the audio in 2.6.12 files but not 2.6.15.

First, is this a known problem?  If not is there any MPEG-TS tool I can use to analyze the resulting streams and figure out what's different?

Second, how can I "fix" the files edited with 2.6.15?  I no longer have the source material, so I'd like to remux them to recover the audio.

Thanks.

muxterious

BTW, it seems I was able to "fix" the bad files using:
ffmpeg -i broken.ts -c copy fixed.ts

mean

Please provide a short sample of those source videos
5 or 10 seconds is enough

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: muxterious on December 11, 2016, 12:54:07 AM
>8 >8 I compiled (and run) both releases on the same Ubuntu 16.04 machine. >8>8
If you have 64-bit ubuntu, do you have the same issue with this build? Qt 5 and CLI version 16.04.1 Ubuntu LTS 64-Bit only

muxterious

Quote from: mean on December 11, 2016, 06:13:27 AMPlease provide a short sample of those source videos
Where should I put it?  It's too big to attach.

muxterious

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on December 11, 2016, 08:09:42 AM
Quote from: muxterious on December 11, 2016, 12:54:07 AM
>8 >8 I compiled (and run) both releases on the same Ubuntu 16.04 machine. >8>8
If you have 64-bit ubuntu, do you have the same issue with this build? Qt 5 and CLI version 16.04.1 Ubuntu LTS 64-Bit only
Thanks.  I tried avidemux 2.6.15 161212-64bit Xenial with x265 version 1.9, but it's no better.  The file it saves is "bad" and when it loads the "bad" file it appears to have no audio.  It's also rejected by GStreamer and my TV, though all 3 like the original.

BTW, the original was cut with 2.6.12.

muxterious

BTW, the GStreamer commandline I'm using is:
gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=File.ts ! decodebin ! audioconvert ! alsasink

For good files, I hear the audio.  For bad files, the pipeline won't link because the demuxer doesn't see the audio stream and therefore creates no audio pad:Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Redistribute latency...
WARNING: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0: Delayed linking failed.
Additional debug info:
./grammar.y(506): gst_parse_no_more_pads (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0:
failed delayed linking some pad of GstDecodeBin named decodebin0 to some pad of GstAudioConvert named audioconvert0
Redistribute latency...
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0/GstTSDemux:tsdemux0: Internal data stream error.
Additional debug info:
mpegtsbase.c(1388): mpegts_base_loop (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0/GstTSDemux:tsdemux0:
stream stopped, reason not-linked
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: muxterious on December 12, 2016, 03:09:26 PM
Quote from: mean on December 11, 2016, 06:13:27 AMPlease provide a short sample of those source videos
Where should I put it?  It's too big to attach.

Upload
Use a free dropbox account, https://www.wetransfer.com/, mega or similar webservice (free public access, without registration to download your uploaded video) thank you.

muxterious

Jan Gruuthuse

Playing the video sample provided, E-AC3 3F2M/LFE audio starts in avidemux @ 1.8 seconds, while in vlc it is not delayed.

mean

muxterious

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on December 12, 2016, 05:01:28 PM
Playing the video sample provided, E-AC3 3F2M/LFE audio starts in avidemux @ 1.8 seconds, while in vlc it is not delayed.
Yes, I also noticed this.

GStreamer also plays it without delay, when decoding just the audio (see above), leading me to assume it might've been some sort of timestamp/synchroniztion issue.

muxterious

Quote from: mean on December 12, 2016, 05:47:34 PM
There is only one audio track
???
Yes, as far as I know.  These clips are recorded off broadcast TV, where SAP seems to be fairly uncommon (at least, for what I record).

mean

Yes
It's the delay, i.e. the end result has no audio for a bit at the beginning and so avidemux bails, not finding it
I'll increase the search radius

If you chop off the beginning (a couple of seconds), it works