News:

--

Main Menu

Turn off Autozoom?

Started by Bart Z Lederman, August 02, 2017, 08:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Z Lederman

Perhaps it's just me, but after using Avidemux for quite a few years with good results I decided to install 2.6.21 64 bit and was very, very disappointed with the user interface.  I really, really, really, really do not like any application that expands to fill my screen without permission, and which has no way to turn of this 'feature'.

Is there really no way to turn off autozoom permanently, or do I have to go back to the previous version?

I've also found many menus (like various filters) are a bit more difficult to use as the options are spaced further apart vertically, and I have to scroll to find options that used to be together. 

I've also found that when the application gets covered by another application and I go back to it bits of the other application stlil appear in the Avidemux windows.  That could be the fault of the OS (Windows 7 Professional 64 bit) but I don't see it with other applications, and I didn't see it with 2.6 15

I've used Avidemux on other platforms, but only occasionally, and haven't tried the latest version anywhere else.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Bart Z Lederman on August 02, 2017, 08:24:02 PM
Is there really no way to turn off autozoom permanently, or do I have to go back to the previous version?

No, to the future one ââ,¬â€œ try the latest nightly (preferably once a fresh one with the build date after 2017-08-01 has been uploaded). Autozoom has been reworked back in May not to upscale on its own for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

QuoteI've also found many menus (like various filters) are a bit more difficult to use as the options are spaced further apart vertically, and I have to scroll to find options that used to be together.

Please point to exact spots where you see these changes or provide screenshots.

QuoteI've also found that when the application gets covered by another application and I go back to it bits of the other application stlil appear in the Avidemux windows.  That could be the fault of the OS (Windows 7 Professional 64 bit) but I don't see it with other applications, and I didn't see it with 2.6 15

Which parts of Avidemux window don't get refreshed correctly? Just the video display or also other parts of GUI? If former, which video output (DXVA2, QtGl etc.) are you using? Windows 7 has almost no test coverage now, as main contributors moved to Windows 10.

Bart Z Lederman

I've upgraded to 2.6.21 .  I have not yet been able to reproduce the problem of the display not clearing properly, but will keep trying.  It did happen regularly with 2.6.15.  I'm attaching a screen shot of the "Filters" menu which shows significantly more white space between the filters than it did before.  You could argue that it makes it easier to select the one you want, but I never had any problems selecting the option I wanted, and it does mean doing a lot more scrolling to find the desired filter.

I can appreciate that most effort goes into the most recent version of an operating system, but I know a great many people who are not moving off of Windows 7.  Most of the clients I support are still using Windows 7 (if they're using Windows).

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Bart Z Lederman on August 04, 2017, 04:41:20 PM
I'm attaching a screen shot of the "Filters" menu which shows significantly more white space between the filters than it did before.  You could argue that it makes it easier to select the one you want,

No, it allows to read the complete description without scrolling the list view horizontally. Horizontal scrolling is the devil in person ;-D

Quotebut I never had any problems selecting the option I wanted, and it does mean doing a lot more scrolling to find the desired filter.

No, the list scrolls per item, not per line. This means exactly the same number of mouse wheel rotations. The current implementation is better than in 2.6.20/21 AFAIR, the extra margin between items was needed to compensate for unreliable (in other words: plain wrong) computation of vertical space required to fit in the description.

QuoteI can appreciate that most effort goes into the most recent version of an operating system, but I know a great many people who are not moving off of Windows 7.  Most of the clients I support are still using Windows 7 (if they're using Windows).

Code contributions of the great many people fixing things currently broken on the trunk with Windows 7 (e.g. DXVA2 hw accelerated decoding) are warmly welcome.