News:

--

Main Menu

Indexing vob files on 2.7.0

Started by elese, January 22, 2018, 01:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQUAR

Probably no conversion involving analogue video, with Virgin media box/TV to DVD recorder.

As mentioned earlier its probably due to these vobs being navigated with IFO data.
You might try something old like DVD decrypter and use that to extract the title of interest from the vobs (= a "simple vob set").

Jan Gruuthuse

My understanding of (Standalone) DVD recorders = box connected to scart (analogue) to record subscription (encoded) tv (cable, ...)
Not burning dvd's on computer ;)

AQUAR

Yes that's true, I forgot that DVD recorders are crippled so as to avoid HDCP-compliancy.

Hard to imagine that the analogue to digital conversion would cause this kind of issue though.

Jan Gruuthuse

Think this has something to do with buffering and burning the dvd.

elese

QuoteNow I really tested loading VTS_01_1.VOB in Avidemux and found no issues, resulting idx2 compressed and attached.

I tried extracting the .vob files from the dvd using dvdbackup instead of dvdrip (which is a front-end for transcode), and they now seem to index fine...  You mentioned VTS_01_1.VOB, and transcode just generates a .vob split into 1GB files, without any of the IFO files etc, and not in the format on the DVD.

Is this a problem with using transcode? Are the timestamps or other necessary information lost?

If so, I just wonder whether a line of code would be worthwhile, to the effect of:  "...this vob file contains no timestamps [or whatever the  problem is], which are needed for indexing. For avidemux to process these, they must be extracted from DVDs using xyz-type software [i.e. not transcode]'?

QuoteMy understanding of (Standalone) DVD recorders = box connected to scart (analogue) to record subscription (encoded) tv (cable, ...)
Not burning dvd's on computer

With a SCART cable, yes. Like in the days of VHS...  :D

eumagga0x2a

Again, I could not find any issues with the "25 years of Linux in 5 minutes" sample. Whatever tool has been used, the result works in Avidemux fine for me.

elese

QuoteAgain, I could not find any issues with the "25 years of Linux in 5 minutes" sample. Whatever tool has been used, the result works in Avidemux fine for me.

Did you use the vob files generated by transcode though?

Direct links are below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EdkST5wsRvgR3U1bxQ1IxeTL_fQyqlgV/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rJ7syDwaz-NfdvSYrUWn4RsDtkpgpjfu/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yki-MBts5lxJqwKIInG4MSCP2PjmJHff/view

eumagga0x2a

These don't work in Avidemux (however, ffmpeg can handle them and Avidemux is able to load mpg files generated by ffmpeg from the samples in copy mode), PsIndexer::handleScrReset fails with these files. The lack of time doesn't allow me to take this issue, unfortunately.

Thank you very much for the samples, hopefully they will allow to find a workaround soon.

elese

QuoteThese don't work in Avidemux (however, ffmpeg can handle them and Avidemux is able to load mpg files generated by ffmpeg from the samples in copy mode), PsIndexer::handleScrReset fails with these files. The lack of time doesn't allow me to take this issue, unfortunately.

No worries. For anyone reading this thread, using dvdbackup (or AnyDVD on Windows, or equivalent) produced vobs that avidemux could work with.

Thanks for the replies, and to you other guys too