News:

--

Main Menu

'container' instead of 'format'...

Started by hiro, July 02, 2018, 06:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiro

Hi,

May be it's (summer)TIME to rename ADM 'Output format' bottom left field to the proper tag, i.e.: 'Container' (or 'Output container'),

as it lists no VIDEO format whatsoever but, obviously / necessarily, video containers (only).

OK: we know that '.mkv, .mp4, etc.', are FILE formats. Nevertheless, since they are no VIDEO formats, it's confusing to many a beginner...

[ In other words, less misunderstanding of what we manipulate would save them (& I) some time... ]

AQUAR

Both terminologies are used to indicate that media tracks and meta data are uniquely multiplexed together into a data container (a file!).

IMHO:
Container is more "visually" descriptive (its a file!)
Output format is more "technically" descriptive (its a file with a specific format!)
Incorrect interpretation of various media terms is wide spread, and changing "Output Format" to "Container" won't change it.

hiro

Hi Aquar & thanx for the answer

Quote from: AQUAR on August 05, 2018, 11:54:54 AMIncorrect interpretation of various media terms is wide spread

Yep!, to say the least...

Quote from: AQUAR on August 05, 2018, 11:54:54 AMchanging "Output Format" to "Container" won't change it.

Don't little streams help grow big rivers?

I posted my msg. with this in mind: MOST important / recurrent mistakes only – and with concrete / obvious effects, such as: quite a lot of wasted time;

and that one is not a small detail: too many people I help (or try) mess up, "simply" due to confusion between the (possible) CONTENTS formats (knowing that e.g. ".mkv" accepts quite a few of them), AND the overall output container (file) formats.

"Example" (daily!): "I have this '.mp4 format' video, how to (etc.)?".

You can guess my answer: "Inside your .mp4: which video + audio formats, please?".

And "OP's" – quite usual – answer: "What do you mean? I just told you: .mp4"...

That's why & how I believe that — at least ADM — BEGINNER users would benefit from what I suggested.

AQUAR

A drop of rain won't make a little stream.

I am more technical minded so prefer "output format" but really don't care either way.
If it changes to "container" then the developer has seen the merit in it.

Lets see, maybe other end users will back you up.