News:

--

Main Menu

Arrow Keys don't work (sometimes)

Started by andrewk8, July 13, 2018, 09:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eumagga0x2a

These are Ubuntu's selfmade and now obosolete appmenu. If it works, then purely by chance ;-D Just move along away from Xenial and Unity.

Jan Gruuthuse

Shortly, one of these days: @ point release 18.04.1 LTS
Expected to hit the streets this summer on July 26

dirk362

I have two Linux machines - one has the issue one doesn't.
The weird thing is that they're both basically Ubuntu. One is Xubuntu 18.04, the other is LinuxMint 19.

With same compiled version from git, Xubuntu never has any issues. LinuxMint will still randomly lose focus such that left/right arrow stop, until click in toolbar area or press tab.

I don't believe its ADM application, but something within configuration.
qt5 modules are consistent across both builds, as you'd sort of expect given common base. That said, LinuxMint has more files present although perhaps due to different apps installed. But every file that is on Xubuntu under *qt5* filter is present and same version on LinuxMint.

I can't see a way to really get to bottom of this as it's not repeatable in a consistent manner.

Jan Gruuthuse

Linux mint 19 has 3 interfaces: Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce. In 32-bit or 64-bit versions.
- What is yours?
- Used CPU, GPU & ram memory?

dirk362

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on July 22, 2018, 06:16:43 AM
Linux mint 19 has 3 interfaces: Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce. In 32-bit or 64-bit versions.
- What is yours?
- Used CPU, GPU & ram memory?

LinuxMint 19 XFCE x64, Intel i5-6600, Onboard HD530 GPU, 16Gb RAM.

System:    Host: study-g5 Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: desktop System: Gigabyte product: N/A serial: N/A
           Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z170X-Gaming 5 v: x.x serial: N/A
           UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F4 date: 10/16/2015
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-6600 (-MCP-) speed/max: 800/3900 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel HD Graphics 530
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) driver: intel Resolution: 1920x1200@59.95hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V driver: e1000e
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E220x Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: alx
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 20257.7GB (69.1% used)
Info:      Processes: 396 Uptime: 2 days Memory: 6809.8/15916.3MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

Jan Gruuthuse

I can't see anything special
HDD Total Size: 20257.7GB (69.1% used) 20.257 TB?
How is that configured?
- How does your System Hard Disk looks like? Free Space?
- What is the size of your video & it's codec you work with, when having keyboard issues?

eumagga0x2a

Back to the issue: The only question is, which GUI element gets the keyboard focus...

a) ...upon application startup

b) ...upon loading a video this way or another

If at any step either the audio shift checkbox or the adjacent spinbox gets focus, left/right arrow keys get a different meaning than navigating to the previous/next frame.

The tab key cycle through GUI elements.

andrewk8

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on July 22, 2018, 06:33:03 PMa) ...upon application startup
I hadn't thought of using right arrow as the key I press after loading a video.  Always the up arrow.

After re-starting ADM, on the third video of dragging from Windows Explorer onto ADM, right arrow DOES NOT WORK. Up arrow works.  Right arrow worked after loading the 1st and 2nd videos.

What's different about up/down vs. left/right?  In other words, why does up/down never seem to have this problem?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: andrewk8 on July 22, 2018, 08:04:50 PM
What's different about up/down vs. left/right?  In other words, why does up/down never seem to have this problem?

The up/down arrow keys can't be used in the audio shift checkbox and in the spinbox where you input the value. This is why their meaning doesn't change when these widgets get focus.

The question is only how it comes that focus is moved to this location all on its own, without clicking the checkbox or the spinbox / pressing the tab key. I can't make it happen on my systems.

QuoteAfter re-starting ADM, on the third video of dragging from Windows Explorer onto ADM

Did you close each video before dropping the next one? Or did you append?

andrewk8

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on July 22, 2018, 09:03:23 PMDid you close each video before dropping the next one? Or did you append?
Close (File --> Close). Then drag/drop from Windows Explorer.

eumagga0x2a

What happens when you use the keyboard shortcut to close a video (Ctrl+W) instead of clicking?

I must admit that I never tried to use menus because keyboard shortcuts are so much more convenient. I guess using mouse and opening the File menu is the requirement to reproduce the issue.