Why is the crash dialog tiny AND fixed-size?

Started by FeRD_NYC, November 11, 2018, 10:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FeRD_NYC

I have two bugs to report, so I'll start with the easiest one first. While using avidemux3_qt5 on Fedora 29 running under Gnome Shell, from the rpmfusion package avidemux-qt-2.7.1-5.fc29.x86_64, I encountered a crash. These things happen.

But the crash was reported to me in this dialog:

...which cannot be resized. That's just... kind of cruel. Please make the window resizable. And, ideally, bigger to start with.

FeRD_NYC

Since I needed to download the latest (Oct 30) AppImage to test the fix on another report, I took advantage of the opportunity to test with that as well.

Same crash, effectively same backtrace (I'll be opening another report on that in a few minutes), and most importantly for this bug: same tiny, fixed-size crash dialog.

eumagga0x2a

The mp4 causing the crash might be of considerable interest if other applications like ffplay, mpv, vlc can handle it just fine.

For resizability of the crash dialog, what would be the benefit of writing a custom dialog as QMessageBox used by FatalFunctionQt is not resizable without ugly hacks? The dialog is fully functional – one can copy the content of the detailed text and paste it into an editor.

FeRD_NYC

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on November 11, 2018, 02:14:53 PM
The mp4 causing the crash might be of considerable interest if other applications like ffplay, mpv, vlc can handle it just fine.

Yeah, I had another issue and then had to do something else, but I'll be posting that report shortly. And yes, the file in question can be identified by MediaInfo, and plays in VLC. I'll supply as much detail as I can in my report.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on November 11, 2018, 02:14:53 PM
For resizability of the crash dialog, what would be the benefit of writing a custom dialog as QMessageBox used by FatalFunctionQt is not resizable without ugly hacks? The dialog is fully functional – one can copy the content of the detailed text and paste it into an editor.

Fair enough, and I agree adding resizing isn't an option since QMessageBox isn't meant to be resizeable — but... well, for starters:

• If it opened significantly wider, that'd make the traceback a lot more readable when Details is opened
  • Nevertheless, its status as a message box, and a non-resizeable one (which, in the context of "a modal dialog for informing the user or for asking the user a question and receiving an answer", as they describe it, makes sense) means it's not a great way to display tracebacks
  • Qt does have the standard QErrorMessage box, which is fully resizeable. Perhaps instead of (or in addition to) using Details..., the crash dialog could have a button to open the traceback in a separate QErrorMessage window?
As far as the width goes, I don't really understand why it's so narrow. Looking at the code, there's only one newline in the contents string:

msgBox.setInformativeText(QT_TRANSLATE_NOOP("qgui2",
"The application has encountered a fatal problem\n
The current editing has been saved and will be reloaded at next start"));

Yet it gets wrapped to the size of a postage stamp.

Still, the QMessageBox class does inherit things like setGeometry(), setMinimumHeight/Width/Size(), setFixedHeight/Width/Size(), setSizePolicy(), and etc. from its parent classes, so even if it can't be resizable maybe it's possible to make it bigger?

As I said in my post title, the issue is that it's both fixed-size AND tiny. Overcoming either would help a lot.

eumagga0x2a

As long as the crash dialog allows to copy the detailed text, it is functional and there is no urgency to invest time and effort (like setting a custom stylesheet or writing a completely custom dialog) in making it less ugly, IMVHO. Quality contributions improving the dialog warmly welcome, of course.