2.7.2/2.7.3 AviSynth Color Filter no longer present

Started by Andrew Wood, March 30, 2019, 04:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Wood

Hi, I'm a user but a non-technical one - so bear with me:

Present in 2.7.1, the AviSynth Color Filter - I presume libADM_vf_colorYuv.dll - is no longer in 2.7.2/2.7.3.

Is there a suggested workaround to emulate the filter's effects, please?

eumagga0x2a

Please use the 2.7.2. release as a MinGW build (r190310) from https://avidemux.org/nightly/win64/. The build of colorYuv ("Avisynth color filter") has been disabled for VC++ (maybe it didn't compile and wasn't deemed to be important enough to be fixed in time).

Andrew Wood

douche

Will it be available in 2.7.4?
Note: MP4v2 Muxer was also available with 2.7.1 but is not part of 2.7.3 VC++ 64

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: douche on April 05, 2019, 10:30:11 PM
Note: MP4v2 Muxer was also available with 2.7.1 but is not part of 2.7.3 VC++ 64

The MP4v2 muxer is likely to go completely as the development of the underlying library has ceased years ago. The libavformat-based MP4 muxer is better. There were some compatibility issues with early iPhones, long obosolete, which was the reason to add the libmp4v2-based muxer in the first place.

Bart Z Lederman

I'm sorry, but I find a 'release' which is missing a major feature to be somewhat disturbing.

Is there a plan to re-install AviSynth Color Filter?  I don't see an answer to this question.

If not, I'm going to have to stay on 2.7.1 indefinitely.  2.7.2 is far to unstable to use, at
least in the 64 bit version: it wouldn't even start on my system.  I'd really hate to have
to stop using avidemux, it is by far the best video editor and converter I've used (much
easier to do things with ffmpeg in the command line, though for some some things
I use that as well).

Could we please have a response?

Thanks.

eumagga0x2a

As mentioned above, use a recent (better, the latest) win64 mingw-built nightly from https://avidemux.org/nightly/win64/.

QuoteI'm going to have to stay on 2.7.1 indefinitely.

As self-punishment, maybe.

Bart Z Lederman

I'd really prefer to wait for an "official" build that has been tested. And
even that doesn't always mean the program will work, as we've seen
recently with 2.7.2 .

Unfortunately, I don't have time at the moment to be a release tester.

And there is nothing wrong I can see with staying with 2.7.1: it's stable,
and it (nearly always) works.  I know the release notes say that 2.7.3
has bug fixes, but I haven't seen any serious bugs except for not
including the audio stream when converting WMV files to AVI, and
there is a work-around for that.

eumagga0x2a

QuoteI'd really prefer to wait for an "official" build that has been tested.

Official releases receive as much testing as people download and use (official!) nightlies. Later nightlies are a result of fixing bugs found in preceding releases. This is how the software development in case of Avidemux works. Quite rare a nightly introduces new problems, most of the time it is just a better tool than an older release, which is the case currently and this is why I recommend it.

Quote2.7.2 is far to unstable to use, at least in the 64 bit version: it wouldn't even start on my system.

Do you mean the MinGW or the VC++ build? There are reports of VC++ builds not running on some systems, but it would be something new that a MinGW build doesn't start. The natural problem is that nightlies lack officially published checksums, so that it is impossible to verify that a download is not damaged. E.g. for the 190427 nightly "'avidemux_2.7.3 r190427_win64.exe" I get file size 28116077 bytes and checksums

sha256sum avidemux_2.7.3\ r190427_win64.exe
8c3bf1dbbd3baef54a07025ad16937c1d36903e0ae94ac36b58f3a8d938d5df3  avidemux_2.7.3 r190427_win64.exe

md5sum avidemux_2.7.3\ r190427_win64.exe
3e42090214bf41ca384852a5c0e53c3a  avidemux_2.7.3 r190427_win64.exe

QuoteI haven't seen any serious bugs except for not including the audio stream when converting WMV files to AVI, and there is a work-around for that.

Since 2.7.1 release, there have been > 10 fixes just for crashes, fixes for serious issues in MPEG-TS handling and for regressions in 2.7.1 affecting navigation and the "Fade to black" filter, not mentioning hundreds of smaller fixes and some enhancements like support for setting rotation flag in the MP4 muxer.

Maksym Kozub

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on April 06, 2019, 10:56:08 AMThe MP4v2 muxer is likely to go completely as the development of the underlying library has ceased years ago. The libavformat-based MP4 muxer is better. There were some compatibility issues with early iPhones, long obosolete, which was the reason to add the libmp4v2-based muxer in the first place.
It would be nice if the changelog would mention the removal of MP4v2 muxer from Avidemux 2.7.3. I have been using 2.7.1 for months. Having recently installed v2.7.3, I noticed there is no MP4v2 muxer. As such, this is not a major problem, but after I found nothing about it in the changelog, I got a bit puzzled.

eumagga0x2a

There hasn't been any release changelog for 2.7.3 at all :-) It was an emergency release to fix an error message displayed on every application start on Windows 7 if no VapourSynth was installed. The 2.7.4 will be better prepared, I hope.

The single noteworthy feature of the MP4v2 muxer – the ability to move the moov atom to the beginning of the file on Windows too, thus making the file compatible (a little bit) with streaming – is now available in the MP4 muxer, but you have to install a very recent nightly to get it.

Maksym Kozub

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on April 29, 2019, 07:50:58 PM
There hasn't been any release changelog for 2.7.3 at all :-)
Yes, I know there has been no formal changelog for this release. However, http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/news.html#2019-03-22 says:
Quote* Vapoursynth is now dynamically loaded to avoid error popup
* ASF/WMV demuxer fix
* BMP decoder fix
* Re-enabled PNG decoder
* Basic save current state when crashing
* Misc small improvements
I meant this as some sort of a changelog.

eumagga0x2a

The author of Avidemux has patched the colorYuv and asciiView filters to be compatible with VC++, they are included from the 190502 VC++ nightly on.