Participate > Avidemux Wiki

MP4 vs MKV quality

(1/1)

HMR:
Hello everyone,
My question's in the subject - I try to cut off some parts of my videos (in "copy" mode), and I choose between MP4 or MKV as output formats.
I know MKV is incompatible sometimes but I don't care, all devices and players I use support MKV ok
What I would like to know is the output quality. Just visual quality of the video, not additional subtitles etc.
I guess in copy mode quality should be same, no matter what I choose - MP4 or MKV, since they're just containers.
But there are many articles on the net that say MKV has better quality than MP4! That confuses me.
Which is correct? If I save part of the video, in copy mode, using MP4 or MKV - they will look same? Or MKV will look better.
Sorry I think it's lame question again. But net search gave me so different results...
Thanks!

eumagga0x2a:

--- Quote from: HMR on June 18, 2019, 06:46:06 AM ---I guess in copy mode quality should be same, no matter what I choose - MP4 or MKV, since they're just containers.
--- End quote ---

Exactly that.

--- Quote ---But there are many articles on the net that say MKV has better quality than MP4!
--- End quote ---

MKV as container has features MP4 is missing and vice versa. These features have nothing to do with quality of video and audio stored in the container.

HMR:
Ok, understood!
Some net articles clearly say about different container features, but some don't and just mention something like "MKV quality gonna be better/MP4 quality is bit lower" etc. So I thought it might be about output files' video quality after all.
Thanks for reply!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version