News:

--

Main Menu

Question about .py files

Started by BG Davis, July 12, 2019, 02:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BG Davis

I'm not sure how .py files work.

I've been in the habit of saving .py files of my video projects, so that I can make adjustments to the projects if need be.  I've never had a problem opening them with Avidemux, but I have two questions:

1. If I move the original video file to a new location, will I still be able to use the corresponding .py file to do edits and then save a new version of the full video file?

2. What operations in Avidemux are non-reversible from the .py file?  For example, I can change various filters, but I can't undo a cut made in the timeline.

Thanks for any information!

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: BG Davis on July 12, 2019, 02:19:55 AM
1. If I move the original video file to a new location, will I still be able to use the corresponding .py file to do edits and then save a new version of the full video file?

You will have to edit the path to the source video in the .py file to match its new location.

Quote2. What operations in Avidemux are non-reversible from the .py file?  For example, I can change various filters, but I can't undo a cut made in the timeline.

I don't quite get you here. Currently, .py files don't record editing steps. They hold the state of editing. The undo function in Avidemux makes or restores snapshots of the segment layout. Which sequence of operations resulted in a particular segment layout, remains out of scope for scripting.

BG Davis

"Currently, .py files don't record editing steps. They hold the state of editing. "
Right.  So if I have applied filters, I can open the .py file and make changes to the filters.  I also can change audio output, and make various other changes.  To me, the filters (and I would argue the soundtrack, maybe) are are part of "editing" a video.

eumagga0x2a

Filters live in the next layer after the editor and before the output which may be the video display or an encoder.

Sure, one can edit .py files instead of doing it in GUI. However, some things like specifying segment layout are very hard to get right without GUI.

I still don't quite get the question...