Sound disappears or is distorted in appended file

Started by Accomac, July 23, 2019, 04:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Accomac

Hello,

Using 2.7.3 and Linux Mint 18.3. I have made a compilation video using 3 separate parts appended together to make one file. Oddly although each separate section has good audio, when appended together, the voices sound like chirping birds or there is no sound at all.

I used the Mpeg4 AVC to encode the file, the output is set to MP4 Muxer.

Can you help me figure out what I am doing wrong? I am having a great time with Avidemux but this has me stymied!  ???

Keep up the good work and thanks for a great program!

Accomac

eumagga0x2a

When appending, the number of audio tracks, the number of channels and channel layout for each track, the audio codec and the codec settings of all videos must perfectly match.

Accomac

Interesting because all 3 separate mp4 files have all the exact same info you call out in your answer. It was a professional video in 3 small parts that I wanted to make into one continuous clip. Parts 1 & 2 audio is fine but when Pt 3 is appended the sound goes awry.

Given what I have found what do you suggest, if anything, to solve the problem? Thanks a lot.

Accomac

eumagga0x2a

Please post the textual output of mediainfo (the command line tool) for all the three files in question.

It might be also a good idea to (always) use the latest nightly, not the 2.7.3 release, which is now 4 months old.

Accomac

I have been trying to figure out how to use the MediaInfo command line program to no avail. Tons of articles about it but nothing obvious to me. The terminal is OK but I prefer a GUI anytime. It can't be as hard as I am making it. It appears that using "mediainfo filename" would be all that's needed but clearly it doesn't work. I've tried brackets and quotes around the filename to no avail.

Plus I can't find a newer version of Avidemux other than what I have for Linux Mint, I'd have never thought a 4 month old program was outdated :(

Add to that the fact that when in Mint I was trying to respond to you and kept getting " Clean Talk" messages about Java not being enabled so I had to move to W7 to post what's going on. Right now the project is stalled, sorry to say.

Thanks,

Accomac

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Accomac on July 28, 2019, 03:31:28 PM
It appears that using "mediainfo filename" would be all that's needed

Right.

Quotebut clearly it doesn't work.

"Doesn't work" is not an error message. There must have been one. Post it, please.

QuoteI've tried brackets and quotes around the filename to no avail.

Usually keeping hitting the tabulator key completes the path with all necessary escape characters. If it doesn't happen, you are probably in a wrong directory. cd into the right one beforehand.

QuotePlus I can't find a newer version of Avidemux other than what I have for Linux Mint,

I suggested building it from source, which is the best option. The second best one is the official appImage.

QuoteI'd have never thought a 4 month old program was outdated :(

This is a sign of health, the application is being actively developed.

QuoteAdd to that the fact that when in Mint I was trying to respond to you and kept getting " Clean Talk" messages about Java not being enabled so I had to move to W7 to post what's going on. Right now the project is stalled, sorry to say.

I'm sorry, this is the dreadful but indispensable CleanTalk in its best/worst  :(