Where is the setting to customize the default View-Zoom setting?

Started by TCmullet, September 27, 2019, 08:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCmullet

I have 2.7.5 on two PCs.  For the same file, one of them opens up with the correct (for my preferences) zoom of 1:1.  But on the other PC, it opens the same file with zoom at 1:2.  It's irritating to change it to 1:1 for EVERY file I open on that PC.  Yet I can find no setting in preferences by which I could SET the default view-zoom setting.  Where is the setting for this, please?

eumagga0x2a

There is none. The default is to choose a zoom value which is power of 2 (1:1, 1:2, 1:4) which won't push parts of the application window out of the available screen real estate (with some safety margin). This depends for a given video on screen resolution (in pixels), size (the DPI value), height of the task bar / panel and on fonts used. The algorithm has been tweaked to better adapt to popular wide screen resolutions.

If you change zoom to 1:1 and there is still plenty of room around Avidemux window left, please provide the information about display resolution, the DPI value, font size as well as admlog.txt from loading the video.

TCmullet

I've attached the log from a fresh load, close, quit sequence.  Both monitors are 24"-type monitors  (1920x1080).  The prog opens in the center on both, not at the last place it was closed (as I thought and as I would expect).  Most of the files I open are 1280 x 720.  Works fine on one (but the video goes off the right edge of screen).  But on this one (that generated the attached log), it wakes up at 1:2.  Then when I switch to 1:1, it goes off to the right like the other.  At least the other is waking up to my desired res, even if I have to drag the window after it's open.

> If you change zoom to 1:1 and there is still plenty of room around Avidemux window left, please provide the information about display resolution, the DPI value, font size as well as admlog.txt from loading the video.

I don't know how to provide "DPI value" or "font size".

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: TCmullet on September 27, 2019, 10:02:00 PM
I've attached the log from a fresh load, close, quit sequence.  Both monitors are 24"-type monitors  (1920x1080).

From the log:

The screen seems to be 1680 x 1010 px

If the pixel size is really 1920x1080, then this means that the automatic HiDPI scaling by Qt is active.

QuoteThe prog opens in the center on both, not at the last place it was closed (as I thought and as I would expect).

Avidemux doesn't save the window position and size as this is practically meaningless without a video loaded.

QuoteMost of the files I open are 1280 x 720.  Works fine on one (but the video goes off the right edge of screen).

I'll try to check at some later point whether we can move the window to work around this shortcoming of window management on Windows (this is not an issue on Linux or on macOS, the window is automatically repositioned by the window manager).

QuoteBut on this one (that generated the attached log), it wakes up at 1:2.  Then when I switch to 1:1, it goes off to the right like the other.

Is the space sufficient for Avidemux window at 1:1 zoom when you drag it to the left?

QuoteI don't know how to provide "DPI value" or "font size".

In Windows' display settings there is control to set scaling factor. Apart from that, please just provide the physical dimensions of the screen.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/increase-text-size-computer

By the way, is there a reason you don't enable DXVA2 display and HW accelerated decoding?

TCmullet

I don't know half the buzzwords you throw around.  But here's a laugh.

> The screen seems to be 1680 x 1010 px
> If the pixel size is really 1920x1080, then this means that the automatic HiDPI scaling by Qt is active.

Ha, ha.  I don't need to know what HiDPI and Qt are.  I swapped out a 22" monitor (1680 x 1050 max) a few weeks ago with this 24" baby and never bothered to adjust the res!   HA HA HA!

PCs work the same now!  Great!  Except that image is shifted off the right edge of screen part way.  At least it's big enough!

As far as saving last position, it seems to me that if I place a "last position saving" program near upper left corner, do my stuff, then quit, if it remembered where it was and I had previously worked with a large res file, then it wouldn't move or need to be moved.  There are other progs like that.  But I admire and appreciate y'all's intent to make it "smart".

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: TCmullet on September 27, 2019, 10:42:14 PM
I don't know half the buzzwords you throw around.

In Avidemux: Edit --> Preferences ...
--> "Display" tab --> Video display: [DXVA2]
--> "HW Accel" tab --> [ x ] Decode video using DXVA2 (windows)

This saves energy by offloading some computationally expensive tasks like video decoding (if supported by the hardware) and scaling of the output picture to dedicated circuits in the graphics card (remember, the fallback "Qt" renderer is not accelerated, i.e. the properties of each displayed pixel are calculated by the CPU).

QuoteI don't need to know what HiDPI and Qt are.

Screens with high pixel densities (120 dots per inch and higher); Qt is the software which provides the graphical user interface for Avidemux.

QuoteI swapped out a 22" monitor (1680 x 1050 max) a few weeks ago with this 24" baby and never bothered to adjust the res!   HA HA HA!

Shouldn't the operating system select the best resolution automatically, should it?

QuoteExcept that image is shifted off the right edge of screen part way.

Will be tackled one day.