Gopro8 files are upsidedown in Avidemux (SOLVED)

Started by ToninoTarsi, November 23, 2019, 08:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToninoTarsi

Hi,

I have a problem  with video recorded with my Gopro8 in upside-down mode.
The video looks fine if viewed with VLC, ZoomPlayer,  Media Player ... but it is upside-down if opened in Avidemux

This is the small example video  :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ar1qPHs4c069VGg-tJVlRzaiXoM8BrNN/view?usp=sharing

Any hint ?

Tx

eumagga0x2a

This is by design. Avidemux doesn't honor any picture transformations like rotation or display aspect ratio specified by the container metadata, so the video is displayed as-is.

Avidemux is not a video player, its task is to edit video. Imagine you want to concatenate two videos sharing identical encoder settings and to save them in copy mode as one file. It would be extremely confusing if a part of the output were displayed upside down while both source videos looked "correctly" in the preview.

ToninoTarsi

Thanks for your replay that is perfecly clear.
But imagine you just what to cut and merge this Gopro files without re-encoding. Why not maintain the same metadata in the output file ?
Tx

eumagga0x2a

If you see that the picture in the video preview in Avidemux is rotated 180°, just enable rotate to 180° in the configuration of the MP4 muxer (no other muxers and AFAIK also no other containers as mp4 support rotation).

Currently it is impossible to pass rotation info to muxers. I agree that it would be nice to handle metadata (not just rotation) throughout the whole chain demuxer --> editor --> filter --> muxer. Maybe one day. Patches welcome.

ToninoTarsi

Thanks a lot.
Using rotation  in the configuration of the MP4 muxer makes the job for me.
Solved