March 09, 2021, 10:07:56 AM

News:

--

Resize Filter UI Improvement

Started by butterw, July 23, 2020, 08:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butterw

Sure, and sharp bicubic is a good default.

I don't use this resize interface very often, but each time I do, I feel like it needs basic improvements.
Maybe adding a textbox to the right of error X/Y with the output Aspect Ratio would be feasible ?
ex: AR: 1.778 (16/9)
Currently to get the desired result you have too know the right output resolutions. An average user will often get it wrong.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: butterw on January 02, 2021, 08:32:14 PMMaybe adding a textbox to the right of error X/Y with the output Aspect Ratio would be feasible ?

It wouldn't be difficult to show (storage width / storage height) as a float, but how should this help the user?? For the use case of output display using square pixels only?

Quote from: butterw on January 02, 2021, 08:32:14 PMCurrently to get the desired result you have too know the right output resolutions.

By specifying the desired display aspect ratio or display width in muxers which support this (MKV, WebM, MP4 and MOV), the necessary pixel aspect ratio is automatically calculated based on pixel size of the source. No effort on user side required.

butterw

January 02, 2021, 11:05:40 PM #17 Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 11:12:24 PM by butterw
Quote from: eumagga0x2a on January 02, 2021, 08:53:00 PM
Quote from: butterw on January 02, 2021, 08:32:14 PMMaybe adding a textbox to the right of error X/Y with the output Aspect Ratio would be feasible ?

It wouldn't be difficult to show (storage width / storage height) as a float, but how should this help the user?? For the use case of output display using square pixels only?

I only use square pixels (PAR=1 ?) I don't know what the buttons at the top of the interface do. Probably the output Width/Height*PAR should be displayed if possible. This output display would avoid having to copy/paste out the values and manually calculate the AR for each suggested set of values. The error X/Y display is one thing that does work well in this interface.

Quote from: butterw on January 02, 2021, 08:32:14 PMCurrently to get the desired result you have too know the right output resolutions.
By specifying the desired display aspect ratio or display width in muxers which support this (MKV, WebM, MP4 and MOV), the necessary pixel aspect ratio is automatically calculated based on pixel size of the source. No effort on user side required.

You also need to know the output AR to use DAR. You have to be near the desired ratio to apply DAR, otherwise you get a significant AR error.

Output Format > configure > DAR is in a different somewhat hidden, interface so it seems easy to forget about.
One thing missing seems to be a 9/16 DAR (increasingly popular in mobile/internet videos).
I don't know what display width does in avidemux.

I do personally prefer mod-16 exact ratios: no possible issues down the line (video players, muxers, editors, etc.). 
I've checked rotation and it doesn't round-trip. Meaning a mp4 file with a rotation tag doesn't get auto-rotated when it is opened in avidemux.
Is mp4 container DAR preserved though a basic remux with ffmpeg, or a conversion to mkv ? If the user goes through the trouble of setting parameters, they need to stick by default.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: butterw on January 02, 2021, 11:05:40 PMI only use square pixels (PAR=1 ?)

If you never need to create a DVD video or work with output of HDV camcorders, this is fine.

Quote from: butterw on January 02, 2021, 11:05:40 PMI don't know what the buttons at the top of the interface do.

The menus apply a factor to width or height in pixels to account for PAR specific to selected scenario. If you work with square pixels only, why are you concerned about aspect ratio at all? Whatever dimensions you set will work right, just keep aspect ratio locked. The whole complexity arises only from anamorphic video.

Quote from: butterw on January 02, 2021, 11:05:40 PMYou also need to know the output AR to use DAR. You have to be near the desired ratio to apply DAR, otherwise you get a significant AR error.

This setting in the muxers creates anamorphic video, yes.

Quote from: butterw on January 02, 2021, 11:05:40 PMOne thing missing seems to be a 9/16 DAR (increasingly popular in mobile/internet videos).

As you noticed later down the post, this one simply doesn't exist. It is 16/9 rotated.

Quote from: butterw on January 02, 2021, 11:05:40 PMI've checked rotation and it doesn't round-trip. Meaning a mp4 file with a rotation tag doesn't get auto-rotated when it is opened in avidemux.

Correct, this is by design. The only metadata which will round-trip ATM is color info (matrix coeficients, color primaries, transfer characteristic, color range) from MKV to MKV in copy mode.

butterw

January 03, 2021, 12:38:56 PM #19 Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 12:47:32 PM by butterw
Container DAR was created for anamorphic (DVD) videos yes. But it can also be used to fix videos that don't have a perfect ratio (ex: near 9/16) to avoid padding at playback (with a negligible AR error).
These container parameters can be useful to fix a video (ex: rotation), but I don't use them if I'm (re)-encoding because I know they are not well supported in editors.

Resizing implies there is re-encoding. To be useful the GUI needs to help with the following:
1. the output dimensions should really be mod-16 (or at least mod-8).
2. the AR error should be small
3. the output AR also needs to be a perfect (or at least near perfect) ratio, and currently the GUI provides no info on this point.

There are very few mod-16 perfect ratios, and it isn't the only AR that users have to deal with. So having an output display would be helpful ex: 1.778.
I never encounter non-square pixel so I can't comment on whether it is a perfect solution for this use case, but at least it does no harm and it seems simple enough to implement.

butterw

Quote from: xyzzy on December 03, 2020, 09:21:41 AMHave a go at it.  It really shouldn't be that hard.  I'd never worked on a Qt graphical app before and fixed up the x265 options with one night of hacking.

Is it possible to modify/recompile an existing filter plugin and it's ui without recompiling the whole of avidemux ?
As long as the I/O remains unchanged, I would assume the modified plugin could be used with an existing build of Avidemux ?
I'm using the VC++ 2.7.7 version on Win10, what software configuration would be required for this (and is there a guide) ?

eumagga0x2a

butterw

Some user feedback on the GUI changes, based on testing of the latest Win64 dev build (210118):
- The change with cutting/deleting at the end seems to work well. 
- [resize GUI] the default should be mod-16 values rather than no-rounding
- [resize GUI] The interface as tested provides very little useful info if AR Locked is unchecked.
My suggestion would be to always display the numerical value of output AR next to X/Y error as discussed in my forum post. When the interface is opened it also shows the source AR, which is key to determine if AR should be Locked.
- [crop GUI] displaying the numerical value of Output AR would be useful (or the source AR in the keep-AR box)
- [crop GUI] being able to move around the crop Window would be nice (crop values would need to adjust once it's done...)
- [mplayer eq2] the luma histogram is a great addition, if possible the 16-235 limit bands could be dashed or colored