The ability to process CEA-608 Closed Captions

Started by jfr7sjek, March 23, 2020, 03:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfr7sjek

I wanted to know if a feature to process Closed Caption files could be added to Avidemux? I found a way to implement the feature located at the link below. This would greatly reduce the amount of steps to edit and re-encode a file. Currently I use 3 software programs to complete the task of editing video files.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3169910/can-ffmpeg-extract-closed-caption-data

eumagga0x2a

This should be possible, but would require a lot of skilled work as currently no support for subtitle streams is present in any part of the chain in Avidemux. Substantial code contributions warmly welcome.

jfr7sjek

Handbrake has the ability to process closed caption files and uses ffmpeg which most likely handles the closed caption files. Since handbrake is open source you could check the source code and insert it into Avidemux which also uses ffmpeg.

eumagga0x2a

Avidemux uses ffmpeg (apart from some isolated tasks like identifying frame type for some codecs) neither for demuxing, nor for the most important module, the editor, nor for filtering. It helps, of course, to look what it is doing to handle all kind of stuff.