News:

--

Main Menu

Remove a portion of a file

Started by TheInvoker, April 11, 2020, 05:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheInvoker

Currently i'm cutting Part 1, then part 2, and then i merge both parts so that i get the file without the part i don't want/need
is there a way to do this in a single operation? Just select the part from A to B and then save the rest of the file without that part
Or maybe be able to select A-B and then C-D (or A2-B2) and save what i selected in a single file.

eumagga0x2a

Why don't you set A to the start of the portion of the video you want to be excluded and B to the spot where it should continue and press DEL?

However, please be aware of intricacies of deleting an inner part of a video stream when in copy mode. Not only that the position of the B marker is restricted to keyframes only, the viability of the whole operation depends strongly on stream properties like codec features used.

TheInvoker

So it was just enough to delete with a button click :|
Thanks.

What is copy mode? i open and set marks. just it.

eumagga0x2a

Copy mode is operation mode in which the compressed video and audio data from the source video are repackaged into the selected output container without (mostly lossy) re-encoding. This is the default operation mode in Avidemux, but it imposes some substantial limitations on choice of cut points and on compatibility of appended videos.

Usage of video and audio filters require re-encoding.

TheInvoker

Is there a better operation mode?

I would like to use filters without reencoding, for 2 reasons:
1) Time
2) it's not good to encode. i have been told that even if i put the same bitrate, the output file will have a worse quality. Maybe so small i can't notice but if i keep working on that file....

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: TheInvoker on April 12, 2020, 12:09:58 PM
I would like to use filters without reencoding

In an alternative universe, maybe...

eumagga0x2a

If you cannot just chain filters in one go, the only other way to avoid progressive loss of quality is to use a lossless video codec like HuffYUV, resulting in huge files.