Missing registry item prevents avidemux from appearing in OpenWith: Fix

Started by wuebbel, May 01, 2020, 08:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wuebbel

I'm using the avidemux 2.7.5 VC++ 64 bits release under Windows 10.

For me and seemingly others avidemux never appears in the "Open with..." menu, although it is listed correctly in the registry.

The reason seems to be that avidemux does not set the ApplicationCompany registry item in

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

In fact, only FriendlyAppName is set, while for all other programs listed there both keys are set. Explorer seems to depend on that key and only shows the item if it exists. After manually adding the value

C:\Program Files\Avidemux 2.7 VC++ 64bits\avidemux.exe.ApplicationCompany

with an arbitrary string things immediately worked, avidemux is now listed in the OpenWith menu. I think that the CompanyName is missing somewhere in the VC build.

Best wishes, Frank

eumagga0x2a

Interesting, thanks. Does this approach make per-extension solutions like https://avidemux.org/smif/index.php/topic,18954.0.html obsolet?

By the way, Avidemux doesn't use or modify registry at all, everything related to registry is purely the domain of the installer (and Windows itself, if it feels like it).

wuebbel

> Does this approach make per-extension solutions ... obsolete?
I'd say it's an alternative. The "OpenWith" entry will show only after you've opened a filetype with avidemux at least once by selecting it manually, while the other solution will show up immediately after installation. I wasn't aware of the extension until I had fixed the problem anyway and then looked here. There are many places on the web mentioning this problem, but giving no solution at all. Fixing the problem in the installer would definitely help everybody. Anyway this missing key might have even more strange consequences.

> Avidemux doesn't use or modify registry at all
Sure. I believe that this is simply a configuration problem in the installer. I am not familiar with Windows, but somewhere there must be a configuration file for the installer that defines ApplicationCompany, and I would believe that the entry is simply missing at compilation time.