News:

--

Main Menu

Cannot use mp3 as audio track

Started by Cormy1, November 03, 2020, 01:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cormy1

I have an mp3 file I cannot use as an audio track, others seem to work fine.
https://we.tl/t-HzzesEcW5y

eumagga0x2a

Traktor metadata at the head of the file confuses Avidemux (it misinterprets parts of it as MP3 frame headers with contradicting info about sampling rate etc, resulting in rejection of the file). If you remove the first 143184 bytes of the sample, Avidemux gladly accepts it.

Will try to look into it.

eumagga0x2a

Should be fixed for this sample now: [coreAudio/identify] Require 3 consecutive valid MPEG audio frame headers for better protection against false positives, tolerate more failures before giving up in order to deal better with large ID3 tags.

However, with the maximum audio probe size of 1 MiB in Avidemux and ID3v2 tags occupying up to 256 MiB, it is always easily possible to make detection fail.

I haven't checked whether Traktor tags are technically a part of ID3v2 metadata, at least this doesn't matter for Avidemux.

stephen22

Very useful piece of software!

Having a similar problem with some mp3 files.
1. mp4 video clip from logitech capture, around 10 minutes,
2. load into Goldwave audio editor,
3. edit, save as MP3 stereo 128kbps

resulting file gives error report when trying to load into Avidemux, replacing the clip's audio using Select Track.

Possible workaround (not sure it will be 100%) seems to be:
save audio in Avidemux, load resulting aac file into Goldwave, edit etc worked with several files.

Any tips on how to create mp3 files that will guarantee to be accepted?

eumagga0x2a

Please verify that the problem persists with the latest available Avidemux nightly build (for Windows, this is currently a VC++ build from Sept 24 2023).

If it does, then please provide a sample MP3 file preferably via WeTransfer, Mega, Dropbox or Google Drive.

stephen22

Thanks for superfast reply. Confirmed persists with latest version. This is a 30 sec segment.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oXf_yQLKlnIvSdkLibEdksgPhPOBoOwE/view?usp=sharing

eumagga0x2a

Thank you for the sample, this is exactly the case when...

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on November 03, 2020, 10:57:09 PMHowever, with the maximum audio probe size of 1 MiB in Avidemux and ID3v2 tags occupying up to 256 MiB, it is always easily possible to make detection fail.

...the embedded cover (3 MiB in size) exceeds by far the maximum probe size and Avidemux gives up before getting to the actual audio data.

Disable adding cover to ID3v2 tags. Even just using a compressed format like JPEG instead of BMP might have made the file acceptable, but leaving the cover out would be the most safe way.

stephen22

Thanks. It's all Greek to me but I think I've sussed it.

ID3v2 is the information about the audio track and "cover" means picture, like the cover of a paperback.

Explains why it works if I save the audio only in Avidemux before loading into Goldwave. I've asked the Goldwave people how to remove the picture.

Many thanks for your help.