News:

--

Main Menu

Problem opening TS file

Started by Yisc76, December 16, 2020, 09:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yisc76

I have a tv recording (6,47 GB) in TS format that cannot be loaded into Avidemux.
When trying version 2.7.1 the application hangs/crashed.
When trying version 2.7.6 the application says that the file cannot be opened.
VLC player is able to play the full file, but until 4min30seconds the video is black and there's no sound, because the tv application initially had trouble to tune the right channel.
Once I did that manually (around 4m30sec) the recording started as expected.
Is there any way to be able to process this file (or to 'fix' it, so I can process it through Avidemux)?
Any help would be highly appreciated.

eumagga0x2a

If there is a stretch of garbage data at the beginning of the file, you will need to cut it away (trivial on Linux e.g. using

dd if=/path/to/input.ts of=/path/to/output.ts bs=1M skip=50
to copy the content of the file "input.ts" in /path/to to a file "output.ts" in /path/to, skipping the first 50 MiB; this might require some extra tools on Windows) before you let Avidemux index it. In general, I agree that a feature  which would allow to skip the beginning of a MPEG-TS file might be useful.

Unrelated to all this, I would strongly recommend to update to the latest nightly, 2.7.6 is really outdated now.

https://avidemux.org/nightly/

Yisc76

Thanks for the advice and help.
I have upgraded to the latest nightly and will leave 2.7.1 and 2.7.6 behind me.
Will ask someone for help to cut the file on a Linux system, as I have no knowledge about that.
Luckily my brother has, so it will get sorted probably.

eumagga0x2a

There is now a way to install Linux in a subsystem on Windows 10, should be enough for the task: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

Yisc76

With some help I was able to follow the given advice and managed to cut the file in such way that the avidemux was able to read it.
Thanks again for the given advice and help.