News:

--

Main Menu

Crop Dialog

Started by butterw, February 07, 2021, 11:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

butterw

Some suggestions:
- Provide an option to show the cropped area in the preview instead of masking it in green. A simple red frame border overlay is more practical for reframing (ex: landscape footage to portrait) or when black bars are not present all the time.
- 3/4 (Classic portrait, used in some mobile/tablet screens) should be added to the list of Aspect Ratios.
- Displaying the value of the output AR would be helpful (AvsPmod does it).
- The filter currently can't be made partial. This should be added, cropped frame size would have to be the same for all sections.

EDIT: tested with 210129_, it's not very easy to do the following:
- crop to 16/9 with mouse (with keep AR, you can only resize the box from the bottom !)
- adjust the cropping box to get the nearest mod-16 16/9 resolution (if the resolution is near it's probably better to crop than resize).
- lock the crop resolution
- fine-tune the position of the cropping box

szlldm

The selected are can be dragged, which imho solve some of the listed issues.
If i understand the filter mechanism correctly, there is no way to make the crop filter partializable, because Avidemux can not handle different sized frames.

butterw

The use case for a partial crop filter is to be able to move the cropping window, not to change the output frame size.
Currently to do this you have to manually save different selected sections and glue the output files back together.

I'm wondering whether a custom script could actually support partial cropping (without requiring partial saves) in which case it may be the better approach.

From my testing, to improve usability:
- Binding keyboard keys (ex: arrows) should be considered to make moving/expanding the box more precise vs a mouse only approach.
- When applying an AR lock, crop dimensions change a bit when the box is moved (presumably because of some mod limitation with crop ?)

My preferred approach would be:
1. Change crop dimensions (by crop values, mouse, AR, etc.)
2. Lock output resolution (the crop window can still be moved, but crop values cannot be changed while locked)
(3. apply a resize filter)

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: butterw on February 08, 2021, 09:31:46 AMThe use case for a partial crop filter is to be able to move the cropping window, not to change the output frame size.

A very valid goal, invalid means. This needs to be handled internally in filter (in this crop filter or in a different one).