News:

--

Main Menu

Bug and whish list

Started by szlldm, March 20, 2021, 03:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

szlldm

This is a bulk list of bugz and whishes.

1) HDR videos looks washed out --> ffmpeg has tonemapping, it could be used
2) Video filter preview sometimes can play only the fraction of the video, and the reported length is shorter too.
3) Video filter preview sometimes reports the original length, altough sections have been already cut out.
4) Partial filter configuration should have a preview, and it would be cool if the start/stop times could be set from the current preview timestamp, with a button.
4.1) Also it would be cool, if the preview could jump to the start/stop times.
4.2) Partial filter start/stop times should be updated, if the video is edited (cut)
5) Video filter preview's toolbox should have a previous frame button
6) Video filter preview's toolbox should have a configuration option for the amount of the forward/backward jump buttons (combobox list, spinbox, etc.)
7) Appending videos, no warning shown if audio samplerate differs, while this will lead to slowed down / speed up audio
8) Appending video with stereo sound after a mono audio, the appended part will sound creepy.
9) Opening video, at the end of the loading process a resize should be applied on the video indicator ("frame_video"), to fit into the available space.
10) There should be an option to enable/disable(bypass) instantiated filters in the video filter manager, without deleting them and loosing their config.

Long term:
1) Mark video boundaries (in case appended videos) and/or cut points on the main window's slider (proposal: use different color fills in the slider's middle gray band)
1.1) Button/shortcut for jumping to these boundaries.
1.2) It should be available in filter previews with said jumping options. Especially would be useful in partial filter config.
2) Allow appending different sized videos, by resizing and audio resampled to match the parameters of the first loaded video, if user accept the warning.
3) "Open"/Append generator. Audio could be file or algorithmic (silence, noise, etc.), video could be colorfill, image (single, or slideshow) or algorithmic. Duration is specified by audio file length or user input.

Thanks!

butterw

Quote from: szlldm on March 20, 2021, 03:25:13 PM10) There should be an option to enable/disable(bypass) instantiated filters in the video filter manager, without deleting them and loosing their config.
Can't be difficult to add a enabled attribute to filters. +a configurable attribute.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: szlldm on March 20, 2021, 03:25:13 PM1) HDR videos looks washed out --> ffmpeg has tonemapping, it could be used

The code needs to be ported as Avidemux doesn't use libavfilter in any way. Very much wanted, indeed.

Quote from: szlldm on March 20, 2021, 03:25:13 PM2) Video filter preview sometimes can play only the fraction of the video, and the reported length is shorter too.

In absence of timing-manipulating filters, the total duration in the filter chain is the span between the markers. Therefore, when markers are not at their default positions, the reported length of the video will be shorter, yes. Actually, no, any steps to reproduce?

Quote from: szlldm on March 20, 2021, 03:25:13 PM3) Video filter preview sometimes reports the original length, altough sections have been already cut out.

May be related to 2.

Quote from: szlldm on March 20, 2021, 03:25:13 PM4.2) Partial filter start/stop times should be updated, if the video is edited (cut)

This is very difficult / shaky. Currently, it is assumed (but not enforced) that all cutting work is completed before starting to set up filters. The problem are all the filters which modify timing. It may be outright impossible to map time after a filter to time before (e.g. when using stillimage).

Quote from: szlldm on March 20, 2021, 03:25:13 PM5) Video filter preview's toolbox should have a previous frame button

Some filters operate or may operate based on a pool of previous frames, theoretically going back one frame may require starting all over. In any case, we will need a filter cache attached to each filter. Going back more than a few frames fitting into the cache may be really painfully slow as filter seeking is purely keyframe-based at the bridge level.

Quote from: szlldm on March 20, 2021, 03:25:13 PM6) Video filter preview's toolbox should have a configuration option for the amount of the forward/backward jump buttons (combobox list, spinbox, etc.)

I plan to investigate enhancing the time display by "go to time" functionality (copy and paste). Also making the length of a jump roughly configurable is possible (i.e. in 10 seconds steps), but I don't like the idea of buttons proliferating (maybe you meant the former, not the latter).

Quote from: szlldm on March 20, 2021, 03:25:13 PM7) Appending videos, no warning shown if audio samplerate differs, while this will lead to slowed down / speed up audio

Very much wanted too. Not just for sampling rate, but compatibility in general.

Quote from: szlldm on March 20, 2021, 03:25:13 PM10) There should be an option to enable/disable(bypass) instantiated filters in the video filter manager, without deleting them and loosing their config.

As long as we are in preview, simply moving filters to the end of the chain and selecting a different filter higher up allows to check the effect of disabling a filter. Of course, this doesn't help in the encoding phase. Please keep in mind that any change in the filter chain can invalidate the configuration of filters below.

Quote from: szlldm on March 20, 2021, 03:25:13 PM2) Allow appending different sized videos, by resizing and audio resampled to match the parameters of the first loaded video, if user accept the warning.

This would violate the KISS principle, and there is more stuff to take care about, not just size. I don't see this coming.

szlldm

Quote2) Video filter preview sometimes can play only the fraction of the video, and the reported length is shorter too.
Actually, no, any steps to reproduce?
Open a video, delete the last half (let first half be much shorter). Apply a filter with preview. Optionally save the filtered part, but htis step not required. Now CTRL+Z the cut, delete the first short half. Now filters preview can only play approx. the first cut duration.

Quote4.2) Partial filter start/stop times should be updated, if the video is edited (cut)
This is very difficult / shaky
I did suspected that. Sad.

Quote6) Video filter preview's toolbox should have a configuration option for the amount of the forward/backward jump buttons (combobox list, spinbox, etc.)
I plan to investigate enhancing the time display by "go to time" functionality (copy and paste). Also making the length of a jump roughly configurable is possible (i.e. in 10 seconds steps), but I don't like the idea of buttons proliferating (maybe you meant the former, not the latter).
IMHO the 1 min. jumps are too much. The ideal value depends on the circumstances, hence the configurability request.

Quote10) There should be an option to enable/disable(bypass) instantiated filters in the video filter manager, without deleting them and loosing their config.
As long as we are in preview, simply moving filters to the end of the chain and selecting a different filter higher up allows to check the effect of disabling a filter. Of course, this doesn't help in the encoding phase. Please keep in mind that any change in the filter chain can invalidate the configuration of filters below.
What i would like is the same behaviorally as simply deleting a filter in the chain, but without actually deleting it.

Quote2) Allow appending different sized videos, by resizing and audio resampled to match the parameters of the first loaded video, if user accept the warning.
This would violate the KISS principle, and there is more stuff to take care about, not just size. I don't see this coming.
Appending videos now require reencode step - per video - just because of resizing, which could be done in the decoding phase.

butterw

Quote from: szlldm on March 20, 2021, 11:44:24 PM
Quote4.2) Partial filter start/stop times should be updated, if the video is edited (cut)
This is very difficult / shaky
I did suspected that. Sad.
If values were updated from variables such as markerA and markerB, start/stop could be dynamic.

Quote10) There should be an option to enable/disable(bypass) instantiated filters in the video filter manager, without deleting them and loosing their config.
What i would like is the same behaviorally as simply deleting a filter in the chain, but without actually deleting it.
Moving filters to the end of the chain is only useful for preview and is generally not a good idea.
Adding support for disabling filters is what is required.
In which cases does disabling a filter in the chain cause a real issue ?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: szlldm on March 20, 2021, 11:44:24 PMOpen a video, delete the last half (let first half be much shorter). Apply a filter with preview. Optionally save the filtered part, but htis step not required. Now CTRL+Z the cut, delete the first short half. Now filters preview can only play approx. the first cut duration.

Exactly that, cutting after filters have been added is effectively unsupported, but this is not enforced. To update the duration, we need to tear down and recreate the entire filter chain including the bridge on opening the filter manager (currently ADM_vf_recreateChain() doesn't touch the bridge). Alternatively, it is possible to add some setup() method to ADM_videoFilterBridge to refresh its configuration.

However, filters down the chain can rely on the initial bridge configuration (getAbsoluteStartTime(), getTimeRange(), timeBaseNum/timeBaseDen and frameIncrement), now invalid. All kind of unwanted stuff can happen when the configuration of such filters is not carefully updated and it is not trivial to do so.

Quote from: szlldm on March 20, 2021, 11:44:24 PMAppending videos now require reencode step - per video - just because of resizing, which could be done in the decoding phase.

What do you suggest to do if the appended video is interlaced?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: butterw on March 21, 2021, 12:06:14 AMIn which cases does disabling a filter in the chain cause a real issue ?

If filters modify picture size or timing, we are in trouble.

szlldm

QuoteIf filters modify picture size or timing, we are in trouble.
Why? You can freely delete this kind of filters. For example you can delete an swresize, and the chain is fine. But with delete we loose the filter config.

QuoteHowever, filters down the chain can rely on the initial bridge configuration (getAbsoluteStartTime(), getTimeRange(), timeBaseNum/timeBaseDen and frameIncrement), now invalid. All kind of unwanted stuff can happen when the configuration of such filters is not carefully updated and it is not trivial to do so.
What i saw is, simply modifying the chain, the filters get destroyed (destructor call), then reconstructed (constructor call). They start with a clean slate, just the configuration data is unchanged.

QuoteWhat do you suggest to do if the appended video is interlaced?
I didnt thought about that :) This could be an exception, porgressive and interlaced couldnt mix.

butterw

Quote from: szlldm on March 21, 2021, 01:56:41 AM
QuoteIf filters modify picture size or timing, we are in trouble.
Why? You can freely delete this kind of filters. For example you can delete an swresize, and the chain is fine. But with delete we loose the filter config.

Disabling would be the same as deleting, but the filter position/parameters are kept and it can later be re-enabled with the previous parameters (For testing this just comment out the addVideoFilter line in the project script).
If there are a couple of filters (which ones ?) which could cause problems, Disabling doesn't have to be available for all filters, just like not all filters can be made partial, or all filters are configurable.

alexstorm

It would be nice to have a text alert that advises you there is no more hard drive space for to save a new video.  Currently, it just tries and errors with only an alert that the video could not be created.  Just even more text in the alert to advise the user to check the disk space, would be nice.  "Check for available disk space."

I was saving to a drive that I thought had plenty of space.  The work drive was C and I knew the available space on that because I use it all the time.  But I missed noticing that drive S was filling up and the notice could not complete, was not helpful.

butterw

The current filtered preview mode is too limited.
1) filters are only applied to the preview when the video is playing
2) You can only seek with the video paused.
3) When you pause/unpause the video, it starts from the last seek point.

Virtualdub has different display modes which can be configured. In one of the modes Filters are applied only when the video is paused. So the input video plays normally with full controls and only when it is paused are filters applied. This is actually more useful than what Avidemux does.

Who

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on March 20, 2021, 11:12:01 PMCurrently, it is assumed (but not enforced) that all cutting work is completed before starting to set up filters. The problem are all the filters which modify timing. It may be outright impossible to map time after a filter to time before (e.g. when using stillimage).

I think I understand the issue here but still it is quite common for me to cut a section from the start of the video, then apply filters to the remaining part of the video, and then go the end and make some cuts there.  I do understand that if you make a cut to a section that is before some partial filters that the times on those filters will be wrong and I have to change them again (and I've actually run into that on the rare occasion when I forget to make an early cut) but what I am saying is I tend to work my way through the video from start to end, in other words I don't do all the cuts first and only then apply the filters.  If I had to do that it would sometimes make things considerably harder because I would in some cases have to go back and try to find places where I made a cut that also require application of a partial filter of some kind.  So I am glad you don't enforce that.  I already feel like the program does too much hand-holding and sometimes wish that it would just get out of my way and assume that I know what I am doing.