Blu Ray Player Audio Settings Compatibility Question

Started by jklug, May 20, 2021, 08:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jklug

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask.

I am looking for encoding suggestions to make my Philips BDP 7502 (UHD) player happy over the USB port (or I could try writing Blu Ray if that would be better).

I used avidemux for the first time to copy video created by ATSC and MythTV in a TS file.

The video worked out great with my player through the USB port. I had selected Mpeg4 AVC (x264) de-interlaced by Yadif.

The audio does not work with the Blu Ray Player from USB (same file works fine with VLC).  I selected copy for the audio track, which was 2 tracks.  According to AVIDemux Properties it is 2 tracks, AC3, Stereo, 48000Bps/384kbps, Variable Bitrate n/a, Frequency 48000.  I believe one track is English, maybe the 2nd is Spanish, but I have not listened to it.  Note that some of my TS files have 5 channel tracks as well.

So the output file format I chose was MP4 Muxer.  I see there is also MP4V2 Muxer.

I thought all Blu Ray players had AC3? My frames per second are 29.970 at aspect ratio 1920x1080.  So I assume I have some kind of compatibility issue with the video and audio together?  AC3 requires 24 FPS to match a Blu Ray disk?  Some broadcasts have 5 channel audio tracks instead of stereo.  Could all the channels be preserved if copy does not work?

The Blu Ray Player is BDP 7501 (UHD) and I am using the HDMI output to an Epson transmitter with a TOS-Link output to a TOS Link receiver, and of course it works for any Blu-Ray disk, has Youtube streaming which also works (not to mention Blu Ray with DTC or Dolby).  Says it supports DLNA, MP3, AAC, WAV, FLAC, and MP4 files.  Also the player has AVCHD, but it is not specified for USB.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: jklug on May 20, 2021, 08:47:19 AMI am looking for encoding suggestions to make my Philips BDP 7502 (UHD) player happy over the USB port

I assume you mean letting this particular device play (demux and decode) media from an USB mass storage device.

Quote from: jklug on May 20, 2021, 08:47:19 AMI thought all Blu Ray players had AC3?

Yes, they should, at least in MPEG-TS. But if this device doesn't like it, try to re-encode audio to AAC.

Quote from: jklug on May 20, 2021, 08:47:19 AMNote that some of my TS files have 5 channel tracks as well.

That may pose a problem with Avidemux as the GUI can handle 4 audio tracks max (the backend can handle
up to 7 audio tracks in MP4 files with 8 audio tracks as a general hard limit).