no sound in some mp4 files converted from wmv (Avidemux 2.7.6, Windows 10)

Started by mahesh, June 11, 2021, 05:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahesh

I have already used Avidemux a few times successfully, and was therefore satisfied with it. But I am now having trouble converting some files. Possibly I am missing something.

This is my first post on the Forum, and I welcome guidance on how to be a good participant in it.

I am using Avidemux 2.7.6, Windows 10.

I would like to focus first on wmv files that I am converting to mp4. The problem is that some of the resulting mp4 files have no sound, while others are fine and do have sound.

More specifically, it seems the problem occurs only when converting wmv files that were converted from original arf recordings (of Webex). On the other hand, there seems to be no problem when converting wmv files which were originally wrf recordings – that is, in this case the resulting mp4 files are complete with sound.

My question: What is causing the problem and how to solve it?

Context info: The wmv files I am trying to convert were converted from original wrf and arf recording files of Webex meetings by using the appropriate/correspondent Webex players (each type of recording has a specific player which can play and convert the correspondent files). Since I don't have a Webex account anymore, I am not allowed to convert the Webex files directly to mp4. I am converting to mp4 only to save disk space.

Summing up my observations and the problem found:
* No problem in the conversion to mp4 of wmv files converted from wrf recordings: sound is there.
* Conversion of wmv files converted from arf recordings: no problem in the video, but no sound is there in the output mp4 files.

The procedure I am using to convert from wmv to mp4 in Avidemux is the following:
open file
change settings:
Video Output --> Mpeg4 AVC (x264)
Audio Output --> AAC (lav) [Gives error when using the default option "Copy"]
Output Format --> MP4 Muxer
save file

I have previously tried (extensively but not exhaustively) to find similar issues discussed in this Forum, but wasn't able to find any that could give me a solution to my issue.

eumagga0x2a

1. Please update your Avidemux build to a supported version which is at least the last release (2.7.8.) or – much better – the latest available nightly build (currently from May 11).
2. Please load the problematic WMV file in Avidemux, close Avidemux and attach the log file admlog.txt from %localappdata%\avidemux to your reply (you may need to compress it first).

Quote from: mahesh on June 11, 2021, 05:26:23 PMWhat is causing the problem and how to solve it?

Avidemux log will help to assess the problem. Further steps depend on the information it will hopefully provide.