Curious sound when using shift+arrow to seek videos

Started by bootroom, July 05, 2021, 09:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bootroom

So i recently discover this shorcut key to quickly edit videos. its been very helpful to go through video every seconds instead key frames.

but i discovered my pc makes some hissing sounds when i hit shift+arrow keys. its not from fans or from hard disks. files and avidemux are in m.2 drive so doubt that is making noise. think its coming from motherboard not sure from where.

so wondering if this shift+arrow keys method harming my pc and shortening hard disk life etc

szlldm

It takes more computing effort to decode a non key frame. Every time you use the shortcut, the CPU uztilization jumps up for a short time, and its current consumption increases because of that. What you hear is most probably the motherboard's VRM coil whine, its harmless. One other possibility is the power supply is low quality / undersized, that could be dangerous.

bootroom

Quote from: szlldm on July 05, 2021, 09:29:29 AMIt takes more computing effort to decode a non key frame. Every time you use the shortcut, the CPU uztilization jumps up for a short time, and its current consumption increases because of that. What you hear is most probably the motherboard's VRM coil whine, its harmless. One other possibility is the power supply is low quality / undersized, that could be dangerous.

thank you. thats explains lots of thing. currently using backup PSU antec vp550p which is good quality i think. if i'm hearing right its not coming from bottom of the pc certainly more like from motherboard.

and yeah you are right about CPU utilization . forgot to mention that. it jumps up to 70% and drops suddenly when i let shift key go.